Agnostic.com

22 4

How long have you been an atheist or an agnostic?

I just curious about your story.

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 8 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 51 votes
  • 0 votes
MSFZ 4 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've never been a believer, I "came out" at age 8.

I went to church all the time as a child. My mother never went, but I'd ride my bike all the time (honestly way too young to go to church by myself but it was a small town) when I was 6 I went to church like I did every Sunday and I tossed a few coins I had gathered into the offering and noticed that the adults around me were sneering. They'd whisper about how children shouldn't go to church by themselves and 'whose child is this?', but not in a way of my parent was irresponsible but rather I realized I was unwelcome there even though I was always quiet and polite. Eventually in 3rd and 4th grade I started going to bible school on Wednesdays, where people wouldn't question a child with no parental supervision. It was in 5th grade that I started questioning it all. One day during bible school I told the teacher that I didn't think I really believed this. She was kind about it, understanding. I dropped bible school and began spending my Wednesday mornings in study hall instead. I started learning about and practicing other religions, eventually settling into buddhisn.

So the problem with a small religious town is they don't take kindly to that. I spent the next decade being mercilessly bullied and shunned. What I did learn about myself in my quest for religion was that it was not faith I had been seeking since I was a toddler wandering to church. It was society. It was the desire to feel a part of something and be accepted in a group of people. After a while I stepped away from buddhism, and moved into agnostic or atheism. The bullying got so much worse when I made that switch and I grew to truly hate christianity and religion. It was not a society of love and acceptance but an intolerant group of people using faith as an excuse to terrorize others. I truly felt that way. I spent many years filled with resentment and hatred.

Eventually I came to find that there are good people and there are bad people and faith really has nothing to do with any of it. But there you have it, my process from Christian to atheist.

I fled the small towns I was raised in. Similar story to yours. The churches rule those towns with an iron fist. If you don't join one, you get ostracized and sneered at. You get bad service in restaurants. Stores will shut down 5 minutes early when they see you pull in. It is NASTY.

Thank you for your story. It was very powerful and I am glad you found where you came and being able to share us your thoughts.

@MSFZ thank you, I'm glad to have found this place, where I don't feel so alone.

@LadyAlyxandrea You are more than welcome and same here. It's hard to be a nonbeliever when most of your friends and family are believers. I know what is like to be in your shoes. 🙂

I never believed. I went through the motions without ever professing belief. I just let people assume because it was easier to avoid the hassle. I officially 'left' the church in 2004.

I had religion forced on me as a kid and young adult. I never believed. I just went through the motions to keep the peace. When I was able to, I moved to a liberal environment.

Roughly 45 years, but I knew it was all bullshit even before that.

I'm not sure when I realized I was a non-believer, but it was probably high school or earlier. Actually I don't know of a time when I was really a believer. Let's just call it 50 years.

Rasied Southern Babtist. Baptised at three, agnostic at ten and athiest at fifteen.

I have been an atheist for over 50 years and I was an agnostic for a couple of years before that. How long have you been one for?

Well, personally I started to question religion when I was growing since I was like six but I was scared to come out because everyone I knew believed in a God. So, at age 18, I started questioned more and more, did research and realized all the lies that were being told by man. So, at age 21, I walked away from religion and never look back and that was 4 years going be five. I am happier and life seems to get easier as far as not worried about things I could not control.

Christian moderate 4-13, 13-15 Attempted to be more religious thinking it might help me, 15-16 my skeptical phase, 16-to present atheist with a brief full throttle antitheist phase mixed in.

I don't think I ever really bought into that

49 years one month 22 days

But who's counting.

To be honest, I have never understood Christianity. When I was younger I tried to be a good little Christian (I really did), mainly because it was expected of me. It just never made sense to me.

Was a staunch born-againer from about 1980 to 1995. I gradually evolved to an atheist, but it took a long time.

Less than six months. I was born into a fundamental pentecostal church, bible literalists to the max. A combination of factors pushed me to finally look for answers and not be afraid of where they led. Once I reached that point of mental honesty, it didn't take long at all to get out.

I was about 10 to 12 when I came to the conclusion that "all the bible stories are nice, but totally BS".
That was + or - 60 years ago.
All religious beliefs are nothing but mythology.
For the most part I have been "in the closet" because of the consequences of coming out. I think that in some cases, coming out as an atheist is worse than coming out as gay.
Go along (superficially) to get along.
Disgusting, but that is the way is often is.

Thank you for your story. That is awesome to be able to talk to people who are likeminded.

My friends and I questioned everything the moment we were sent to a Roman Catholic primary school, there was so much nonsense in the bible! Space and exploration taught to us later on pretty much confirmed everything we thought.

I was "saved" at not quite the age of six, date my apostasy to roughly age 36, am now about to turn 61.

There was actually a transition or continuum from becoming non-practicing, to indifferent, to considering alternatives, to realizing it was all bullshit ,but even if you don't count me as atheist until I accepted that label for myself, it's been way over 10 years.

Thank you for your story.

About two seconds after I was confirmed in the Lutheran church which was 45 years ago. My Dad was a non believer and Mom was a believer, he told me it was my choice after confirmation

More than 60 year as a non believer. Back then, didn't use the labels.

25 years an atheist. Then I adopted the position that I can not truly know if something doesn't exist through science for about 10+ years. Therefore I refer to myself as an atheist (belief)/agnostic (position). People have tried to argue that I am just an atheist, but as far as I know, we don't have a rulebook: )

I totally understand where you are coming from, as that is how I view it. We don't have the instructions, so how do we accomplish everything that we are meant to get done in this life. But if I had to put a label is probably just an atheist/free thinker.

61 years. All my life.

I was an atheist before I knew what an atheist is.

Not sure I ever fully drank the cool-aid. Figured out religion was BS when I was in early elementary school.

I have never believed in "God". I was forced to go to church as a child and hated it. I do feel that there is something that can be taken from all religions without having to slavishly follow them. I am a historian and interested in Norse mythology especially. If anything I do believe in the power of the universe as a whole and one's own subconcious giant without the need to submit to some fictitious external entity.

Thanks for sharing, you have a valid point. As a person who loves history, I totally could see your point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30181
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.