Agnostic.com

8 0

Population problems

Anyone here given much thought to how the world population increase may be causing or adding to all our social problems. I've read that war and disease only contribute a drop in the bucket to controlling things.

AgnoJer 5 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Food for thought. In a sociology paper I read, war, hunger, financial challenges and disease-threats increase birthrates in communities. Peace & harmony lower birthrates in the same communities.

Studies have shown that it will peak and plateau as the third world countries get richer, as families start managing the number of their children. It's all in the numbers.

Here is what the PBS YouTuber, It's OK To Be Smart, presents in a video about population growth. I won't link to this video because I'll link to the first research I saw on population growth below this post. Here is a synopsis of OK To Be Smart's presentation:
"The way we feed 7 billion people today won't scale to feed 10 billion tomorrow
The reality for most of history was that many children would die before adulthood. So you better have plenty.
But beginning in the 1700s, advances in agriculture and transportation meant fewer people starved.
Eventually people caught on that most of their kids are going to survive. And as education and opportunities for women improve, families started having fewer children. And population growth slowed. Eventually when births and death rates remain low, populations level off, and become stable. Or even start shrinking.
It took the UK 95 years to halve birth rates. While Brazil did it in 26. And Iran just 10. Today birthrates are falling almost everywhere. The less time a country spends in times of rapid growth, the quicker Earth population stops increasing. It's unlikely the 12 billionth human will ever be born.
Instead of one big population bomb. The challenge today is defusing a few population cluster bombs in pockets of the developing world."

And here is the first presentation I watched that explained this theory. It's 20 minutes long, stick with it. It's actually quite interesting. It's very visual with many well thought out and animated info-graphics. Hans Rosling knew how to present his research well.

What happens when places run out of water, refugees, food shortages. So many things will go wrong. A perfect storm of disasters.

The real problem as is with everything when it comes to us humans is moderation and greed. We always want more even when it isn't the best thing for us.

We are fucked directly because of greed and overpopulation and no respect for any other life as a species.

The increasing human overpopulation is , in itself, causing more war, disease, famine, environmental degradation and pollution, than anything else. If not contained, it presents the prospect of making the world unfit for human habitation, and for eliminating many species of organisms.

Not long ago, I was thinking about a study I read back in my (psych) school days. The research was set up to see the effects of population growth in eat colonies. The colony of rats was set up in a large "habitat" with plenty of space, "housing" resources (regular food source) and they were allowed to just live. Of course as will any species with resources, they multiplied, raised their young who then multiplied.
There were occasional conflicts, fights over mates or choice resources but rarely were these fatal to a colony member. However, as the colony grew, conflict and "violence" increased. Researchers did not increase resources at the same place as population increase and of course more fights broke out over food, nurseries and such. As population increased further, there were more battles for seemingly no reason and increasingly there were fatalities related to these conflicts. They began seeing infanticide, both by "strangers" and by parents. There were even some instances where 2 or more rats would band together and set about killing others.
While the colony did not return to the idyllic stage where everyone pretty much for along, it did stabilize somewhat at a population sustainable by available resources.
What do I think? I think this could pertain to humans as we may be little different than rats with better tools.

I used to set up this experiment for my biology class. Take an agar filled Petri dish. Place four or five different colonies of bacteria, some cocci, bacilli, spirilla etc. They continue to reproduce until room and nutrient run out. Inevitably it's the colony that reproduces the fastest that takes over the ecosystem. Europe should keep this in mind considering the Muslim females are reproduces almost double the babies of native Europeans.

It always has been the major cause of problems and always will be. It's not just the number but the use of resources. Technology squeezes more resources out of what's available but that only leaves fewer for future generations. The formula is I = PAT (impact = Population x Activity x Technology). In the 70's, 80' and 90's this was well understood but then industry got involved and the whole concept went down the drain. Remember, our economy is based on continual growth.

I once heard a comparison to the Wild West idea (there is no more wild west is is all taken) and a space craft. We need to go to the spacecraft model and the first law is to only use what is available on the ship. More people means fewer resources to go around.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30346
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.