Agnostic.com

10 4

How Do You Get Past the Presentation Jitters?

I have to give a presentation at my job in a couple of weeks. I haven't did this in years. How do you walk up there and get past the public speaking jitters?

ballou 8 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i always started by asking them a question and it worked wonders. One I used was do you people expect me to tell jokes? Sorry to disappoint you I failed comedy. It was a very good one with a lot of laughs.

If knowledge, skills, and experience are not enough, fear can "block" down to shaking hands and stuttering. When you know the topic well and have prepared and rehearsed, you will be able to convey the idea despite the excitement. And even if you get confused or stutter, preparation and knowledge of the topic will help you save the day. In addition, it is usually not the process of communicating with the audience that scares you but how it will judge you. When I did my presentation, I prepared everything in advance at [docsandslides.com] using new techniques. It diverted attention away from me, and I was able to look at my preparations, so I didn't lose my train of thought. And it was scary not to speak but to think how my voice, my gait, would be perceived rather than my speech. So you have to make sure you don't have a squeaky tone, and you're dressed nicely.

I have given 6 presentations in front of my fellowship and I always start with some ;light hearted humor. Remember, you are up there and they are not so you command the room with what you're saying, just keep it simple and go slow. My biggest issue is talking too fast so I put a note only visible to me somewhere to slow down. I am always a bit nervous before hand but put a microphone in front of me and you'd better have a calendar because I just keep on going. You'll do fine.

Start with a small jest. The last time I had to do this was at a corporate meeting. No one knew me, so I walked up and said, "Hello. I'm Chuck and I'm an alcoholic". Everyone got a good laugh and it was easy street from there. That statement might be a bit strong but even something light hearted could work.

If you’ve got kids … pretend like you’re speaking to them (age appropriate, but same intensity and desire to ‘instill what they need to know’ ). If not, envision speaking to a family member you like 🙂 And if you really know yur stuff … relax, you can field any question ~

Varn Level 8 Mar 4, 2019

Talk to One person in your audience....glance around from time to time so irpt isn't too obvious, and/or change focus go another individual, and tell a quick joke to relax All of you. Best wishes!

Public speaking is the number one American fear, over death. In the first seven years of business, over 10,000 people attended my seminars.

Twelve Tips for Great Public Speaking and To Banish Jitters

1. Drink WARM water only. Cold water restricts your vocal cords.

2. Avoid caffeine. It makes you jittery.

3. Preparation is key. Type what you want to say, double-spaced, 14 point type. Number the pages. Underline and circle key points. While speaking, glance down at your notes. Look up to re-establish eye contact with people.

1. Practice and time your presentation in advance.

2. On the way to the presentation, warm up your voice: "a- e- i - o - u." While driving, say aloud positive affirmations:

I am a warm, strong, positive person.

I think well on my feet.

I listen to what people need.

I am lucky to lead this group, and they are lucky to be with me.

I enjoy leading this group.

1. Arrive early. Set up, get help with equipment, adjust the lights, etc.

2. Standing at the door, greet people as they arrive. Smile and and shake their hand. Then it feels like you are with friends.

3. Use bold, simple, colorful visual aids. Give people handouts. Most people are visual learners. Visual aids are especially helpful for people with English as a second language.

4. Pace yourself. Smile.

5. Encourage group participation. Ask a question. Invite the group to divide into groups of three. Ask them to discuss the question for eight minutes. After eight minutes, get the attention of the group. Say, "On the count of three, please point to your group spokesperson." (laughter) Then go around the room to hear from each group.

6. Have fun. Get out from behind the podium. Amused, people watched me winding the microphone cord around the table as I walked. Stopped short, I laughed and unwound myself. People say they love my sense of humor.

@mzbehavin

Exactly.

One thing that has really helped me is to be really passionate about the subject.

Imagine your audience is naked....?

I think I'll pass on that one! Thanks anyway! lol

Two Harvey Wallbangers....any more and who knows what might happen 😉

cava Level 7 Mar 4, 2019

Are you planning on using visual aids? Try to if you can. Then you can say 'turn the house lights down so they can see the screen'. When you can't see them out there, it's a lot easier... and a couple of shots of Taquila never hurts.

Oh its so hard. The first time I delivered a keynote lecture in front of 600 students, I nearly had a tennalady moment (hope that translates?). What I did was take my glasses off, then I couldn't see them. My boss said concentrate on your subject and not on yourself. You know your stuff, thats what your audience needs.

Thanks for the tips. I wear glasses too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:303552
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.