Agnostic.com

9 6

QUESTION I'm an atheist, but I had to walk away from the toxic side of online atheism - The Washington Post

Thoughts and opinions? I certainly don't feel like this site has really any trolling, etc. Pretty much the 'safest place' to express your views as an agnostic atheist.

Hugene2002 7 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can you explain the downside of athiesim to me? I always envied athiest people wish I could believe in such a simple world

Great share! I totally agree. I left an oppressive religion over 20 years ago, not because I was angry but because I wanted to lead a better more fulfilling life and set out on my own path to find MY truth. Whenever I go into forums of ex-Mormons it’s a depressing place. So much anger and sadness no matter how long ago they broke away. I had to ask “if you didn’t leave to seek peace and happiness why bother? Why continue to re-litigate within your own mind the wrongs committed against you? Isn’t that life exhausting?

Seems to be a few atheism “camps”. One camp are atheist because they are pissed off their parents made them attend church as kids and they just never move beyond the bitterness. My folks are still active in the church, I’ll occasionally participate to help out if they need another soprano in the choir or help set up or break down an activity, I played soccer with the bishops wife. At times I’m concerned they view my willingness as making my way back but it doesn’t matter because what anyone thinks is none of my business. I’m just not bitter about it. Bitterness serves no useful purpose and would have destroyed my efforts to become the peaceful, pacifist hippie you see before you today who has a great relationship with my family despite our clear differences and recognize our differences come with common inherent truths which are far more important than the petty shit people get blinded by while building roadblocks to their own happiness.

In short....get out of your own way!

Such a good reply. I have never had the experience of being in a religious family and so I really don't know what it's like to have to extricate yourself and still try and keep a relationship with those whom you do love after all.
I have got a few friends who are religious and it doesn't bother me , although they are all clear about my own position. I've even been known to help out several times at a friend's mum's Catholic church jumble sale because they were all nice older people who would have struggled lifting tables etc and they were raising money for homeless people. I don't see any problem with that because they are doing a good thing.
I think the conversation becomes more fraught for Americans because religion seems to dominate politics in a way in which it just doesn't here in the UK and so the stakes are that much higher. Also there's a lot of money in the cults which exist in the US , scientology , Mormons and Jehovah's all take big bucks from often poor people and so I guess I would be more angry if that were going on here?

I reckon the system of having to get to a certain level before being able to post allows admins to get rid of the bigots and trolls before they get the chance to work their magic.

I personally have a somewhat abrasive nature, but I do try to temper it; if only for the sake of avoiding trouble. I'll always do my best to be calm and reasonable.

Much appreciated!

I have to say that I've not had any experience before this site of any other on-line atheism. However that being said, I have really enjoyed this site.

I tend to agree with this about perceptions of hostile atheism. Many (not all) postings made me feel that I had to be defensive and paranoid about what the theocrats were cooking up. It is one thing to be informed but another to be inflamed. I simply do not want to spend my time nit-picking the bible as I wrote it off a long time ago. Trying to argue with "true believers" is an act of pure futility as the majority of them lack comprehensive reasoning skills - having been indoctrinated to the point that they can't let go. I would rather deal with a level of understanding how and why there is a lack of rational thinking; how our culture has become so entrenched in a tradition and myths that are long past their expiration dates. The light of day seems to come from the ability to communicate via the internet so that we can walk away from ignorance and superstition, not just joust with windmills!

These traditions and myths are deliberately used by the billionaire class to manufacture consent for their own agenda. Mixing God with politics was supposed to be the very thing which America wanted to avoid and yet seemingly that is exactly what has happened!?
So far as I can see , religion of any denomination is used by autocratic rulers specifically because religion reflects the same top down pyramidal power structure. Look at Trump, the man is an absolute moron and yet he now has an amount of power that no one human being should ever have. He himself has just taken advantage of a system which has existed for decades and he is just the worst in a long line of terrible politicians, however the system itself is structured to mimic the same method of funneling power away from the individual to some God like man at the top. We are taught to look for our salvation in the elite which inhabits the zenith of our culture, whether that be a white Christian God or a white Christian president.

I'm with bingst in that I've viewed some on this site as a bit too much for my taste. While I respect and accept their viewpoints I don't feel I get the same in return. I'm used to that though in that I will agree to disagree.

SamL Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

Unfortunately, I have to say that I have experienced some of this. But I'm a strict agnostic, I know I don't count, as I'm in the minority on this site.

I also find that some atheists also have very abusive, highly judgmental personalities. just as some "true believer" Christians do. At the core, it is simply a personality issue. Those people, no matter what side they are on, are simply destructive people.

Indeed. And maybe those people are also often the most vocal?

Thanks Hugene! We're really trying to make this a place where people feel safe. We're getting better at looking for trolling/etc.

Admin Level 9 Nov 7, 2017

Sweet! Liking your post got me to level 7! You have to keep up Admin! Lol!! ???? thanks for all of your work in keeping this site safe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3080
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.