Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK What Orca Whales may have to listen to

We are having a crises in this area concerning the slow extinction of Orca whales. Our governor has suggested spending $1 billion to combat this problem. A big part of the problem is the huge amount of shipping going through these waters.

Democratic congressman Joe Cunningham interrupted a house committee hearing with a 120-decibel air horn after a Trump administration official insisted air-gun testing to locate oil underwater would have no impact on whales, who rely on echolocation to hunt and communicate.

JackPedigo 9 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I saw that shit show. How can one man find the most ignorant and dumbest people to hire? If they aren't the most ignorant and dumb they are corrupt or indictable.
Cunningham was great!!
Humans are killing the planet and the major life forms on it. It seems it is a race by the wealthiest to eliminate all living creatures. 😟

As I said below, I just finished a great book. It's not long but a real page turner. The first half is about anthropology in Honduras. The 2nd half is about communicable diseases and the one he mentioned is not pretty. Leishmmaniasis is a disease that is not well known in the west but it is gaining in strength. Coupled with HIV one either dies from HIV or the parasite. The book describes what it entails and it is not pretty. Climate Change is actually making matters worse in that it allows the carriers (sand flies) to migrate to areas that were formerly too cold. It is starting to infect the SW US and is headed NE.

He's comparing apples to oranges. Decibels in water are different than Decibels in air.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 11, 2019

But like he said it carries a lot further than in air. Also, it is the sound itself (not the tone) that is disrupting the Orca's echolocation. We are too quick to take nature for granted and think everything will be all right. The present situation has shown where that has taken us and our progeny will have to suffer.
I just finished a NY Times bestseller book "Lost City of the Monkey God." Amazingly interesting but it has a lesson that is scary as hell. There are reasons so many great civilizations disappeared and that reason will happen to us unless we heed the warnings.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:308343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.