Agnostic.com

2 1

QUESTION All in favor of the Burqa Ban party – Fauzia Rafique

This is my article on the politics of burqa bans being implemented by some conservative governments in the West.

Some discussion on 'purdah / burqa / hijab' is at the link below:
[gandholi.wordpress.com]

Maya405 7 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am also of 2 minds when it comes to a "ban on the burka", It seems to me that if a government put a ban on the burka, then this just supports the females that would otherwise be obliged by their husbands to be covered up completely in public, but unfortunately there are also those who have internalised that control to the point that they are only comfortable living under it's yoke. The analogue is that of a slave accompanying his master to a country where he is declared free, only to wish to remain wearing the chains of his serfdom, even though he could choose freedom.

I'm not muslim and I hadn't thought enough about the other side of this story. I don't see the 'need' to make everyone appear the same anyway. And I definitely don't like it when the government dictates what is acceptable or not. Leave it up to the individual. Women wearing crosses bother me more.

Thank you for your comment @Edward59. Appreciate your well-balanced view on this issue.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3092
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.