Agnostic.com

6 9

A comedy of errors on snowshoes today

Gro hikes much faster than Karen and me. Karen and I savor the outdoors, magnificent views, wildflowers and photography. Gro goes for the exercise.

On snowshoes, today Gro, Betsy and I hiked extremely steep Ranger Road above Leavenworth, gaining 1,000 feet of elevation over 1- 1/2 to 2 miles. As usual, Gro and Betsy took off like a shot.

It's no fun struggling to keep up. After stopping to take photos, I fell hopelessly behind.

Overheated, I didn't want to waste time stopping to remove my down jacket. And I was carrying a heavier pack.

One snowshoe came off. Twice my sunglasses fell into the snow while taking photos. Where was my sports strap?

Turning around after two extremely steep miles, I immediately relaxed. The descent was beautiful. The sun came out, making the snow glitter. I sent Gro a text that I was at my car.

Driving home, I remembered zipping the sunglass sports strap into my raincoat pocket during a driving snowstorm. The raincoat was in my pack. Sheesh.

It's more fun hiking with someone who hikes at your own pace.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is such a beautiful area! I'm glad you were able to enjoy parts of the hike - too bad not all of it, tho'!

Agreed. I used to crush my teen sons hiking in NH White Mts. and NY Daks. No more. They just keep track of me 'cause they know I;m buying beer and dinner after. Maybe that's a strategy. Expensive though.

I know exactly what you mean. When one person is exercising and the other one is enjoying the hike/snow shoeing, it's a difference of purpose and hard to enjoy the time together. I had this happen so much with my ex....he walked way ahead, he biked way ahead, he snoe shoed way ahead. I felt like I was always trying to catch up with him. And I did discuss this with him...how it made me feel like he'd rather just be on his own, solo.

@mojo5501

Thank you for your reply. It is frustrating feeling like you are always trying to catch up with someone. Sucks the joy out of the experience.

"While scuba diving, all I saw of your dad was his retreating fins," my mother said, laughing.

So, Mom switched dive partners to Don, Dad's best friend. Don was also an underwater photographer. He and Mom puttered around together, taking underwater photos.

@LiterateHiker Problem solved!

For those of you who are into winter outdoor activities, REI is having some excellent sales now. For example, I found an Arc'teryx winter coat at nearly 40% off. Worth a look.

www.rei.com

@Mitch07102

I call REI "Mecca." Just used my annual dividend.

So, no ten mile route marches with a full combat load in your ruck..... I totally agree.

Nice pics

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:309234
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.