Agnostic.com

2 1

The 'I could care less' movement..

So this is a lil peeve of mine.. and that peeve is when people get peeved about someone saying "I could care less" instead of saying "I couldn't care less". I'm usually a grammar Nazi, but I use could rather than couldn't.

The reason being is because the couldn't version is shortened. Most people don't know the full saying and the full saying is "I couldn't care less than I already do, which is not at all" or something along those lines. That makes sense.. but when you shorten it, it doesn't.

It doesn't make sense because if someone is telling you something they care about or that you should care about and you respond with "I couldn't care less", you're saying "I could not care less". So, just making up numbers, someone's care factor is 80%.. you're telling them you're incapable of caring less than 80%. If someone thinks your care level should be 100%, you're telling them that you're incapable of caring less than 100%, which means you do care.

Now, if you tell someone "I could care less", you're telling them you are capable of caring less than what they want you to care. It makes more sense that way, if you're trying to go with the shortened version.

So, if that makes sense to you, join me in using "I could care less" when there is something you don't care about.. or don't, I could care less.

FatherOfNyx 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many such stupidities persist.

First world problems.. they're the worst.

I couldn't care less about this issue.

It's so nice to find people who care the same amount as me ?

@Athena Then possibly I could care less?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:311425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.