Agnostic.com

10 3

How do you define the "friend-zone"

I've noticed a lot of hate for the phrase more and more often lately and I'm wondering how you personally define the word.

To me it's just when one person has romatic feelings that are not reciprocated by the other. It can lean toward either person and in my personal experience, I've been accused of putting women in it more than being stuck in it.

JohnnyMiller 6 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When a person (usually a woman) feels no romantic and/or sexual inclination towards another person (usually a man) but still likes him enough to want to know him and spend time with him. So, if you get put in the friend zone, get over the romantic and/or sexual inclination and go with it; it's not such a bad place to be.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

It is a sort of mythology, I would say.

A mythology born of male entitlement.

Agree the unreciprocated feelings.
I have female friends, but never think of friendzone with them. Yet ladies, I for all intents and purposes have dated, who want to keep me as a friend only, I think of friendzone.

It's entitlement at its worst. No one owes you anything,particularly not their time or affection. If YOU have feelings for someone,those are YOUR feelings and your responsibility. It has literally nothing to do with the object of your affection and they have absolutely no obligations toward you.

So do you consider it solely male entitlement or can it apply to women as well? Not trying to start an argument, I'm just wondering how you would react to seeing a woman explode in say, the middle of an IHOP and screaming about being put in the friend zone?

@JohnnyMiller it absolutely applies to women as well. "I seent it!". It's something people do. It's also something people shouldn't. Like I said,your feelings are your own responsibility.
Someone leading you on is something else entirely. For instance there was a girl on here the other night who said she'd met someone she really liked but wasn't attracted to him. I imagine she'd been stringing the poor guy along when there was never any hope.

@Blindbird Thank you for the reply. I didn't see the instance you're referring to but I can believe it.

Liking to hang out but no sex

It means you are never going to get in the end zone!

Honestly I define it as whining. (Not to be rude, that's just how I define it)

I think you're on the right track with your definition.

I only came across this description for the first the other day, on here funnily enough. It just sounds like a trendy term that you described in your post but for me has no meaning whatsoever. If I fancied someone who didn't fancy me and they wanted to plonk me in this zone my response would be - yeah whatever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31209
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.