Agnostic.com

19 1

Can a atheist and a Christian date.

My roommate is a Christian and she knows I'm atheist. Everytime I hear her say God is good. I wanna say I can prove He not. But I don't want to cause any problem between us.

Peacefulperson 6 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. I've done it before without it being an issue. As long as you both are willing to accept the other for what they are. It also depends on how strongly each of you feel. She was a nominal Christian, so she rarely even brought up god.

I would say probably not. Only because I'm freshly broken up ( Tuesday of this week) with a Hebrew Israelite and that was nothing but a tumultuous relationship.

Eeewwww I've tried it. No Go. They're just too verbal and won't stop bringing up god/jesus/my lord talk.

As long as neither is determined to convert the other to their way of thinking, yes, absolutely. This doesn't mean that you can't courteously debate each other's point of view. Just make sure you do it in a way that you're both comfortable with, and if you can't find one, put the subject out of bounds.

So rein in that desire to shoot down your roomate's beliefs, and as long as they're willing to do the same with respect to your disbeliefs, you'll get on just fine.

If they want to.

I think so.

I suggest you tell her you're of 'kinky pursuasion' - and then you might be able to pursuade her she should be gagged ... 🙂

That christian is going to walk around like they're toting a fragile ceramic Jesus and you better not insult it because it is precious to them.
The Christian on the other hand can say whatever they want, because the atheist has no fragile ceramic Jesus.
It's a life of double standards. Not for me.

Works for me but my wife is very laid back and practical about it.

gearl Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

Sure. Just think how peaceful your Sunday mornings will be.

Yes, but their children will be agnostic.

Lol

Any two consenting adults can date, the question is can they get along.

Speaking from personal experience it is possible to have a relationship with enough in common and enough mutul respect that it can withstand different god-beliefs. I deconverted during my 2nd marriage, my late 2nd wife did not. It didn't harm our relationship in the slightest.

It might have made a difference if we had been very active in church and our life revolved around church and church friends, or if there were social awkwardness for her because her unbelieving husband didn't "participate". But the church had pretty much betrayed my wife by then anyway, she was no use to them because her illness made her an unreliable participant and an unwelcome reminder of the random misery that can be visited on anyone at any time for any resson or for no reason.

So our shared experience was our life together and, regrettably, her illness. Not so much church.

I often ask myself, would there have been unwanted drama if the church still had a role for us? I like to think not, my wife was very intelligent and did not confuse her beliefs with her identity. But ... she was unusual that way, too.

Why not? I mean, really, how often do you think religion, beliefs and all that stuff comes up in a new relationship? If it does, , you are not doing things right. Bt the way, if you answer her:"no, he is not" you are still acknowledging some sort of existance of a supernatural being. Say "good for you.

They can make it work, but the topic would pretty much be off limits unless both people can keep it civil.

It is no doubt easier when both participants in a relationship or what not share similar beliefs or lack thereof. However if both parties can show respect for each other in terms of whatever they choose to believe and mesh well together, it should not matter what differences are between them.

MrOhm Level 4 Mar 2, 2018

Sure if they want to, Why not, I know I would not enjoy it but then again that is me

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

I did... I do... Boundaries!!!!

But as an atheist, surely you believe God doesn't exist and is therefore neither good nor bad?

I note you "want" to say you can prove God isn't good rather than actually say it, which demonstrates a lot of respect for her beliefs. If she shows the same respect to yours, I'm sure you'll get along just fine. Sometimes, people with opposing opinions can make the best friends of all - and who knows, it might lead to more.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31211
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.