Agnostic.com

7 1

PTSD, roadblock to relationships. How many of us deal with this issue in our lives?

JosephFazzino 3 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know that I have Compound PTSD, and have had to deal with it my whole life. I have abandonment issues stemming from it that cause severe panic attacks. It is something that is always there, you just need to compensate for it before it gets too severe. A good therapist helps a lot.

JK666 Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

Have had it in the past, all good now. Though know many people suffering.

I have multiple PTSD issues I'm working through, but when it comes to relationships honesty and support and empathy are the best

Glad your are working on it, had journey. I have been diagnosed for 5 years, on meds for depression anxiety etc. I can work and do, as it helps me help other vets get the help they need. After work I go home shut the door till Monday.

I have PTSD. It's a recent diagnosis, tbh. I admit to being one of those who thought it was only a soldier's disease. It took realizing my now ex was mentally and emotionally abusive before I was able to get to the root and, not long after, my therapist and shrink suggested I might have PTSD (without my prompting). I suffered through torture and bullying so intense there are no words to properly convey how bad it was- classmates and sister for the entire twelve years of grade school then sister after school to present day. It extremely damaged my psyche. I'll easily be drawn in by a master manipulator (majority of my relationships) but, when it comes to friends, I've been holding people at arm's length my entire life. Or, as my mom put it, I have the "I'll hurt you before you hurt me" mindset. Because of my mental state, I don't have any close friends, like someone I would feel comfortable confiding in. I'm very secluded and isolated. I'm a hermit. I hate it but I'm also an introvert so, the thought of even attempting to go somewhere to "meet people" without someone holding my hand, sends me into an anxiety attack. Why I love the internet, I can get the social connection I need without leaving the comfort of my home. LOL

Same symptoms here, however I work helping vets. Trust is a huge issue, that is a reason go the isolation.

It may be in some cases people don't even know what they're suffering from. Sure, it may be more evident to someone who has been through battle, which is the biggest PTSD stereotype we've heard about. But by it's very nature, the root cause of PTSD is often buried deep in the psyche of those affected, and only manifests itself as strange reactions to mundane events. My adopted son was physically abused as a child before we adopted him when he just turned seven; on occasions when I'd get upset with with him over something minor, he would often run off and I'd find him hiding behind his bedroom door... I can't begin to imagine the terror he experienced as an adolescent.

godef Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

Ptsd is from life threatening situations, for me it was like many of my brother and sisters.

It's very hard to be in relationship when one or both partners have mental health issues. PTSD has been detrimental to my relationships, not just intimate ones, but friendships, etc. It's a constant work to get it done, but what I learned is this:

1. Be honest
  2. Do get professional help ( I can't emphasize this enough, our loved ones are usually not equipped to deal with us the way a trained professional would).
  3. Do keep your support network
  4. Don't be too hard on yourself
  5. Do maintain your boundaries
  6. Understand limitations and boundaries of your support network, especially intimate partners. They love you and want to help, but do NOT overload them, know when to seek alternative exhaust.
    If I think of others, I will post it later. It's doable. It's hard as hell, but there is life and happiness on the other side.

Agree with much of what your saying. Been through 4 years of therapy via the VA. Just find easier to be on my own.

@JosephFazzino I understand why. I'm sorry things are tough

Many many of us deal with PTSD--not just ex military. As far as relationships go, why is this any harder for a partner to deal with than any other baggage? Unless it is severe, and causes violence then it is just another facet to work on. I am 68--by the time you get to my age, there is no one without baggage. It's just part of living

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31348
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.