Agnostic.com

2 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

have there been any prosecutions of American soldiers for their actions in Vietnam ?. I ask because an ex British paratrooper has just been charged with manslaughter for his part in the "bloody sunday" killing of 13 unarmed civilians in Derry in NI in 1972.

William Calley was. Not many/any others as far as I know. I believe there was a unit called Tiger Force that committed many of the same atrocities with impunity. Though there is no statute of limitations on murder, we tend to sweep war crimes under the rug.

"On October 19, 2003, Michael D. Sallah, a reporter at The Blade (Toledo) newspaper, obtained unreleased, confidential records of U.S. Army commander Henry Tufts. One file in these records referred to a previously unpublished war crimes investigation known as the Coy Allegation.

[...]

The investigators concluded that many of the war crimes indeed took place.[17] This included the murder of former-ARVN personnel, the murder of two blind brothers, the crippled and old and the routine murder of women and children[18]. Despite this, the Army decided not to pursue any prosecutions.[19]"

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I wrote this years ago here:

[salem-news.com]

LanceThruster December 6, 2010 9:34 am (Pacific time)

The horror and sadness of Mr. Duc Tran Van's recounting of the massacre of beloved family members and neighbors while so very young is heart-wrenching. He too was one of the heroes of that day as his actions prevented his brother and himself from becoming fallen victims of the slaughter. His survival allowed him to be there for his remaining family and share his story with others in a most poignant and graphic way. Armed conflict always involves senseless death and destruction, but what he experienced at the hands of those who believed their own sacrifices were for the good of his people was beyond the pale.

I became draft age in ’75 as America’s direct military involvement in the conflict had essentially ceased. I had considered enlisting but did not feel I could trust my government with regards to those it might determine warranted killing.

I was reminded of this when my friend’s son Adam, part of Marines 1/5 for the fall of Baghdad in the second Gulf War, returned home from Iraq. When I cautiously asked him about his experiences in a combat zone, the first words out of his mouth were, “We killed people for no reason.”

I learned from him that even with very specific rules of engagement, innocent people would die. A vehicle would approach his checkpoint too fast, too erratic, and not heed signals to stop or slow down, and he and his fellow Marines would fire upon the vehicle and its occupants. He told me about the time he did just that, and when he went to inspect the vehicle, it was full of dead and wounded women and children, some of whom were screaming or crying or moaning, in terror or pain or anguish. He bears no physical scars from his tour of duty, but is on PTSD status. I was traumatized by merely hearing of some of his encounters over there. I can only imagine the toll it takes actually living them.

To Mr. Duc Tran Van; I am truly so very sorry you and your family and your country suffered so as a brutal war was waged across your land. I have tried to remain informed and active politically so that I could do whatever I can to help prevent my country from inflicting further such tragedies on others. As you might imagine, sometimes I too feel very helpless in this regard. You and Tim King have done much to remind me that sometimes courage can be as simple a thing as to just keep moving forward. And for that, you have my sincere gratitude.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:313480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.