Agnostic.com

7 6

Which of the following persons really existed?

Which of the following persons really existed?
Agamemnon, Jesus, Confucius, Solon, George Washington, Mohammed, King Artus ? Well, never mind. It does not really matter, in the sense of "making a difference", which one from the list above really existed, as a person of flesh and blood, and who was a legendary figure, invented by some people or a community.

All that matters is that what they did or said, or what we ascribe to them, has become an element of cultural tradition, that it has had - and for some of them still has - effects in how we look at things and how we act.

Whether figures like Jesus or Mohammed really existed - their words and deeds have had an enormous impact, and in practical terms it does not make a difference if this impact is based on a person of flesh and blood (dead a long time ago) or on a legend invented by a group of like-minded people. The only thing that really matters: that enough people today still believe in what X or Y said or did, because it is shared beliefs that make the cultural world go round.

Just imagine historians would come up with reliable evidence that George Washington never really existed , that he was a kind of King Artus-like figure invented by the founders of the USA? What difference would it make to the lives of Americans? The discovery would cause a turmoil among scholars, that's for sure, but the reality of life in the USA would continue unscathed.

Matias 8 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm glad to see all these posts. I can tell you do a lot of deep thinking. It makes me want to do the same! I could learn quite a bit from everyone here. Things I've never thought or learned before.

I could not agree more a figures existence or none existence is unimportant compared to their effects on the ongoing culture, which stand on their own merits.

Excepting one small point with some figures and some belief systems, like Jesus, a literal belief in their reality has to be assumed before a literal belief in some things like miracles can be assumed. Sometimes therefore it is not the figure whose credibility is the main issue when asking questions about existence are made, but the credibility of the accounts, which are questioned indirectly.

Though I suspect that a lot of the speculation which people do into the reality of figures from the past is done, simply because it is fun, and as long as they are up front and honest about that, there is no harm in it.

This makes sense to me in a certain way. The time was ripe for something like the Christian message to burst upon the scene—the revolution would have come forth in any event and the names of the players are not important. That message is constantly being corrupted—and it is constantly being renewed through new expressions, new media. It’s not something that happened in year zero and is over—it is still happening.

The same forces are seen in the American Revolution, the French Revolution, the rise of Islam, New Thought, science, commerce—the list goes on and on, but the impetus behind all of those changes is the same. It is growing self awareness on a universal level.

There is no particular reason why I am me and you are you. The sensation of separateness is an illusion. Individual humans are players in the drama, but that drama would go on in any event—the names of the actors are not important.

The Christian message did not "burst upon the scene". It was just one of many cults and if it had not been adopted as the Roman state religion we may still all be pagans. Islam was spread by military conquest and then by favourable treatment of Muslims such as lower taxes.

I take your point....and agree 100%

Yes, this is, in part, why I regard the traditionalist / mythicist debate concerning the historicity of Jesus as a potentially fun side debate but ultimately of no consequence. I have a view about it, but not one that matters to my take on life.

It makes a big difference to literalist / fundamentalist actors of course, but that's their problem. As @luckytobealive points out, if your acceptance of the teachings ascribed to Jesus rely on him being an actual historical figure, then it's a game-changer of a question.

Personally my path out of that thought process involved figuring out that Jesus was a lying sack of shit, long before I decided he didn't exist to begin with, so again, it doesn't matter.

If every effect has a cause then pragmatically the effects of Christianity. Islam, et al must have a cause. If you want to say these people never really existed, or didn't exist in a historical manner, that still does not explain the phenomena that describes the effects.

cava Level 7 Mar 19, 2019

I regard the Abrahamic faiths as an interlocking set of self-perpetuating memes. They do not require the existence of their founders to succeed or to be rendered explicable, only belief in their existence or even in just the validity of the teachings ascribed to them. Whether Jesus founded Christianity or it was a group effort (e.g. the Jerusalem Council hiding behind their own concocted Jesus mythos), doesn't really matter.

The explanation is simply that most humans are still more comfortable with ideologies that cater to their confirmation bias around mortality and transcendence. People want something that affirms their hopes and dreams and aspirations and soothes their fears. Religion has delivered this, and largely still does. So it endures.

@mordant This question could be framed differently....as in the Great Man Theory
[en.wikipedia.org]

@cava Even historically existent Great Men were not necessarily or clearly all that great, it is the mythos around their lives that confers "greatness" upon them. They are symbols at least as much as they are people.

For example, we ignore that Lincoln was given to terrible depression and suspended habeus corpus and played dirty politics with the best of them and was still rather a product of his times in how he regarded the personhood of Negroes or their fitness to have full human rights. Instead we cherry pick his brilliant moves, his compassionate side, and his martyrdom as powerful symbols.

@mordant OK that's fine but regardless of Lincoln's frailties he had the skills required to hold together a Union in the face of a civil war, and emancipate the slaves and he left us with some great ideas about who we are and where we came from. Sure he was a man of his times, he was the perfect instrument for his times...A Great Man.

@cava My point exactly. The Lincoln mythos distills his greatness. We don't hold up his failures, only his successes. I'm not denying that Lincoln had greatness in him, and that it positively shined in important and historic ways ... I'm simply saying that there's a divergence between Lincoln the symbol and Lincoln the actual man. The cause of the emancipation of slaves wasn't Lincoln, it was some of Lincoln's ideas, advanced by Lincoln's charisma and persistence and leadership skills, in spite of Lincoln's human weaknesses and blind spots.

To my original point, then, it's hardly controversial that the enduring aspect of the influence of Jesus on culture and society isn't Jesus himself, or his historicity, but the ideas and concepts and principles attributed to him and the parts of his life as presented and commonly understood.

The question is "What difference would it make..." if any of these people did not exist...think about Lincoln...if he was never President...

It doesn't matter whether historical figures really existed? Well, it may not matter to you, friend, but as a student and teacher of history, not mythology, it bloody well matters to me. I'm guessing you've never studied history at tertiary education level. Let's just all embrace fake history. It'll go well in a world of fake news.

Tell someone who survived the Holocaust that it doesn't really matter or not if Hitler really existed.

I suppose by the same logic it doesn't matter if a scientific fact is really true or not. Just as long as a lot of people think it is true.

From the perspective of a historian, sure, establishing as best one can the facts of history is important. But establishing that Jesus was not an historical figure only really undermines the belief of those who rely on a literalist / inerrantist understanding of Christianity.

Besides, early Christianity had competing orthodoxies, all but one of which didn't win the lottery. The major one of those was gnosticism, which regarded Jesus as a celestial apparition and not a flesh and blood god-man. One can plausibly argue that half of first century Christianity didn't believe Jesus was an historical figure -- along with a significant percentage of 2nd and 3rd century Christians.

I don’t think he is speaking from a personal perspective, but from a philosophical observation. I think I get the point he is making, its all about our cultural acceptance of certain customs, regardless of whether they originated in myth or reality. Folklore in most countries and cultures is a weaving of fact and fiction, sometimes we can’t distinguish where fact ends and myth begins, but they are part and parcel of our acceptance of being part of that shared heritage and community. We are fully aware that not everything is true, it just seems to be more important to us to hold on to perceived wisdoms that are part of our shared identity and heritage. There is no denial of history involved in what he said, I think you misinterpreted his point.

@mordant I agree with all of that. However, concerning this post, Christianity is a prime example of what happens when myth and history fuse together, and people no longer care what was "real" or "true". It doesn't matter, the argument goes, because only the "influence" that the story has had. I fundamentally reject that. It's dangerous, and it leads to, amongst other things, these damn religions that most of us here long to see on the other side of history, as the myths they are based on, possibly with some historical elements that trained historians tease out with careful application of the historical method. I don't think the poster knows what he is talking about. Not separating real history from myth is as poor an intellectual exercise as not separating science from science fiction. To do that would be like saying its doesn't matter if Han Solo really existed, and the influence on people of him in his Millenium Falcon is all that counts. Nonsense.

@David1955 I hear you. I am somewhat conflicted because coming as I do out of Christian fundamentalism I understand how much damage belief contrary to established or likely facts can do. At the same time, I acknowledge the reality that people are irrational and respond to symbols more than to reality. And they are going to do that whether or not I like it. And it's a good idea to understand that motivation whether or not it floats my boat, because it makes people and broad cultural trends more predictable and explicable.

So there's a side of me that's like you, jumping up and down and asking WTF it would take for people to separate supportable belief from wishful thinking, and there's a side of me that accepts that most people just aren't interested in the distinction and never will be.

@Marionville well okay, but the problem is not when people are influenced by culture and stories that they know are a mish mash of history and myth, but when this mish mash is peddled as true and historical. Like Christianity. The poster said it doesn't really matter. I say it does.

@David1955 Okay...it does matter to us...we who are reasoning, questioning, critically thinking beings. But does it matter to the majority of people out there? I think not. That, however, should not stop us trying to make the others see our point of view, and pointing out the danger for them in believing the myths, especially the religious ones, and being able to distinguish what is dangerous to believe and what can be just a bit of childish fun, such as the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

@Matias so, notice how you assert that the Holocaust is a fact, and to be accepted. Yes, based on evidence. Historical figures likewise, based on evidence. It is the social science of history.

What bothers me is that you, and some here, tend towards thinking, well, in the end it doesn't matter so much if what we say about history is really true or not, it's all part of culture and its influence. That's bad social science. It is no better than bad physical science. I have too much respect for the social science of history, and the historical method, to ever accept that.

@Matias well now you're changing the argument. Yes, I agree, historical events and people become mythologised over time. That's inevitable, particularly by less scrutinizing minds. My objection is saying it doesn't matter, or it isn't important to apply rigour to history because, hey that's culture. You doubtless know the saying that those who forget history are deemed to repeat it. Mythologising history from the facts and evidence, as known by objective historical analysis, is one way history is forgotten. Reading Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is one thing. Reading a history book on Julius Caesar by a historian is quite another. I totally separate them. If others don't, then that reflects their ignorance of the subject.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:313565
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.