Agnostic.com

8 15

Today's hike on rapidly melting snow

My legs are hammered. Today I hiked Tronsen Meadows with four women near Blewett Pass, WA. We went eight miles (felt like 10) with over 1,000 feet of elevation gain. I lost a basket on my hiking pole in the heavy snow.

We were floundering and sinking on snowshoes. At 55 degrees, snow was disintegrating in the sun. On backcountry skis, Karen sank up to her thighs at times.

I discovered when I doubled my speed, my snowshoes didn't sink as much. When a snowshoe sank, I powered through and kept going. "Skimming across the snow," I thought optimistically.

We steeply ascended to the upper trail and even higher for lunch. Descended to the wrong parking lot. Oops. We turned around, heading back uphill.

Leading, Gro missed the lower trail that we needed to get to our cars. Karen knew it.

"Does anyone need to get back right away?" Karen asked tactfully. She didn't want to argue again with Gro about which way to go. Karen has an excellent sense of direction.

Floundering and sinking, we struggled to the upper trail again. This felt like a forced march. (I noticed the lower trail, too.) Finally, we stopped to remove our jackets.

Went across - by now the snow was mush - then down to the cars.

Over 44 years of hiking, I have never seen mountain snow melt this fast.

Benefits:

1. Great views of the Enchantments.
  2. Excellent workout. Probably burned 5,000 calories.
  3. Outdoor in the sun.
  4. Wonderful company.
LiterateHiker 9 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wish I were there. Good for you ladies!!

Beautiful scenery!

Sounds a bit punishing for me.

@Jolanta

It was hard going. With four strong women, I didn't want to complain.

Unless we get cold temperature and more snow, I'm done with snowshoeing this year.

@LiterateHiker Sounds like you had it with all that snow. Bring on spring and summer.

golfed today in shorts & golf shirt. great weather not a great score.

I must get back to hiking. No excuses, not even my total disdain for most of the human race. Hiking alone is not particularly smart. The poles and shoes are in the closet. Now, all I have to do is to find some humans who I can stand to be with for a few hours. Men are hopeless, I will not even attempt to engage them. Women are not much better, as the best are hopelessly married or fused with their grand-kids. I know, I'm making excuses. Please feel free to kick me in the head.

@GuyKeith

Here you go.

You live in Colorado with spectacular mountains. Lucky you!

Ya just gotta find those of us who are not hopelessly married nor fused with grand-kids ? then we will kick ya in the head (when our team spanks yours next week) ???

@Heidi68 My team is not even in the tournament ? Memphis.

@Heidi68, @LiterateHiker Yes, our hiking smorgasbord is pretty much without peer.

@GuyKeith well that sucks. NC State didn't make it either.

@GuyKeith I never did any winter hiking while I we out there but spring & fall! Loved it.

@Heidi68 I know. You just have to win the Quad 1 games. Memphis played them all very close, but did not win but but 1-8. There are no moral victories.

Beautiful day and definitely gorgeous views!

A day well spent! Even with a mending knee, I wish I was there.

Lost a basket on my hiking pole?

@Mitch07102

Yes. Black Diamond hiking pole basket. It screws on.

[trekkinn.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:314048
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.