Agnostic.com

7 3

How has religion harmed our learning?

When I first read the Book of Job which is included in the OT biblical canon, I was struck by the great wisdom of it, that a book from around 500 BC could be so good seemed to require divine intervention, and I've heard many Christians comment on the outstanding writing style and wisdom of their holy scriptures.

But the reason now seems to be that my US education up to age 13 ignored all wisdom from the distant past allowing
the Bible to appear to be a work standing above the rest.

Suppression of the truth inevitably leads to a very depleted education.

And omitting the horrific history of the Church back when it was unchallenged by science, when it was able to help those around it by torturing them and burning them alive, has left the US public actually demanding that politicians be Christians. Yikes!

McIntyre 6 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The book of Job was probably the only book in the bible that has any form of credence as being written in the time period the story was set it. THe other ones are all fabrications after fabrications. (like new translations of the bible) I think if you look at it as a mythology, used in ancient times, to teach lessons in that time period using the language of the times, then its just literature. Ironically the religions used mass illiteracy as an excuse to basically justify anything they wanted at any time.

Literacy and education ironically started with religious learning. And to this day US education is still heavily built on a religious foundation. But the sort of irony is the business of religion lost its control over people. And that primal instinct to control other people sadly has had a devastating impact on US education.

argo Level 4 Nov 12, 2017

Gave us the dark ages and Trump to begin the next dark age.

I think the one thing the religion does that is most damaging to education and society at large is that it reaches their members to obey authority without question. An over used, yet handy example is how Europe got primed for the rise of Nazis by having been taught to obey authority without question by the churches.

More recently, in the U.S. churches are teaching people to reject science and scientific findings in favor of church doctrines and blind faith (and obedience to the church).

That ther happens to be some wisdom in "holy books" is mostly because there was no other contexts in which to express what one had learned outside of a religious context. My attitude, is take the wisdom and leave the religion (and "magical thinking" ) behind.

It instills a deeply damaging sense of shame and guilt regarding sex and sexuality, for one.

The history of the church is about repression, suppression, and denial. It's history if full of godlessness atrocities by the hierarchy of the church. The utter absence of godliness in the name of god is amazing. The crusades, the inquisition, the witch trials all examples of holy work in the name of god. In the earliest times the church was not as much a religious group as a political entity to be reckoned with, bargained with as well as be at war with. It's history will shock the most devout believers of what it is to be one of god's warriors. Think of all the hidden history in the secret libraries in the vatican. I would hope that what is in there would be revealed one day.

SamL Level 7 Nov 9, 2017

If civilisation had never entered a religion inspired dark ages, then perhaps but not for certain we would have had an extra 1000 years of scientific endeavour accrued. So, who knows where that would have gotten us, maybe even reaching for the stars, rather than just peering up at the planets? Thus in retrospect it looks like religion has harmed us immeasurably.

It has increased human reliance on superstition and magical thinking. At the same time, it has attempted to limit critical and independent thinking and attempted to deny and limit the full exercise of science.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3142
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.