Agnostic.com

6 10

Frozen Lake Michigan thaws into otherworldly blue ice shards

Stunning!

After growing up in Michigan, I will always remember...

In early Spring, giant ice blocks pilled up along the Lake Michigan shoreline. With wind, waves and thawing, ice blocks were constantly heaving, crashing and shifting like a restless animal.

"Don't go near the ice blocks," my parents warned. "You could be killed."

People died each Spring, climbing on the slippery, moving ice blocks.

[today.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember that. I lived one block from the lake in Michigan City when I was in first grade.

Stunning!

Beautiful, cold and creepy but beautiful.

Either last weekend or the weekend before a hundred adults had to be rescued off of lake Erie because they were on a ice floe that left land, you can't fix stupid.

Fishermen or tourists?

@mojo5501 uncertain, I live on the lake, don't pay attention to stupidity.

@OldFloyd

Darwin award winners. Natural selection.

@mojo5501

Stupid fisherman.

My family is in the Milwaukee area and Lake Michigan on "our side of the pond" is similar but not quite so spiky. I remember a few years ago taking photos of the most beautiful aqua color blue trapped in the ice shards. It really is 'otherworldly' to see the color varieties and the shapes. I will share this photo of up near Door County area in Wisconsin in January. The motion of the ice was mesmerizing to watch:

@ToolGuy Thanks, I would show my video of the waves but it is sideways and I cannot seem to figure out how to turn it so people don't get sea sick...ha ha.

Looks like an infinite sea of broken window glass! I'd often thought it would be nice to have a home right on one of the Great Lakes. But then I think about the ice being pushed ashore in winter, and I think "no way!".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:315091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.