Agnostic.com

5 1

LINK Atheism Is Inconsistent with the Scientific Method

? Marcelo Gleiser, a 60-year-old Brazil-born theoretical physicist at Dartmouth College and prolific science popularizer, has won this year’s Templeton Prize. He says, "I honestly think atheism is inconsistent with the scientific method. What I mean by that is, what is atheism? It’s a statement, a categorical statement that expresses belief in nonbelief. “I don’t believe even though I have no evidence for or against, simply I don’t believe.” Period. It’s a declaration. But in science we don’t really do declarations. We say, “Okay, you can have a hypothesis, you have to have some evidence against or for that.” And so an agnostic would say, look, I have no evidence for God or any kind of god (What god, first of all? The Maori gods, or the Jewish or Christian or Muslim God? Which god is that?) But on the other hand, an agnostic would acknowledge no right to make a final statement about something he or she doesn’t know about. “The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,” and all that. This positions me very much against all of the “New Atheist” guys—even though I want my message to be respectful of people’s beliefs and reasoning, which might be community-based, or dignity-based, and so on. And I think obviously the Templeton Foundation likes all of this, because this is part of an emerging conversation. It’s not just me; it’s also my colleague the astrophysicist Adam Frank, and a bunch of others, talking more and more about the relation between science and spirituality."

Alimacbean 7 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stand in Awe of the gobledy-gook here......

@TheAstroChuck yup

I will agree. It's typically not smart to argue with leading scientists about the art of science. But.... It is generally quite easy to prove something if it exists. It is generally impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. But, it's awefully nice to have a "working theory" that works with the evidence we DO have.

Again, I agree that Science "proper" is driven by the scientific method... but, I might contend that experiments are created after a theorist has brought seemingly disparate ideas together to create a new concept...a concept which begs experimentation to prove. When Einstein theorized that light/photons are subject to gravity, it took a number of years for the scientific community to be able to prove it via observation (i.e. experimentation). During that time, I doubt that Einstein had any question as to the voracity of his claims, while other scientists scrambled like mad to say he was wrong. So... as an atheist, I don't bristle if someone says it's not the most un-biased of scientific mindsets...but I do believe we have been performing scientific experiments into this concept for long enough (seances, spoon bending, predestination, whatever), and I am, at this point, sufficiently convinced that the experiments we HAVE done are conclusive enough for me. I reiterate: It is generally quite easy to prove something if it exists. It is generally impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. So, I'm ok with not adhering super strictly to the scientific method. Just put me in the camp of Einstein...a theorist.

I don't believe in god; or I don't believe there's a god are not final statements. It's a challenge. Show me proof. To state categorically that there is no god would be a final statement.

Atheist means without god(s). I am an atheist first because I don't believe in god, presented with compelling and convincing evidence that there is, I would change my mind.

Secondly I am an atheist because I choose to live without gods. Whether bibledog is real or not doesn't matter to me. It's a horrible monster that I would not worship.

In summary, Marcelo is full of shit. He uses a straw man argument which isn't scientic.

JimG Level 8 Mar 21, 2019

Agreed.

I think he is standing logic on its head. Is he really saying that we should believe because we have no evidence that god doesn’t exist, therefore we should believe in god until the evidence disproves it? Yes, we can agree that lack of evidence doesn’t mean that it is evidence of absence, but surely we could use that argument for holding a belief in any fiction, remembering, of course, that it is impossible to prove a negative. It’s very troubling that such an apparently eminent scientist should be propounding this nonsense.

Given a lack of evidence either way, the default position is that it doesn't exist. If I told Mr. Gleiser that he should believe in unicorns because there's no evidence that they don't exist, he'd think me a fool.

That's exactly what he's saying. He must be the most idiotic smart person ever.

@JimG Same concept, yes. Would love to see how he tried to weasel out of that.

If you havent noticed, some scientists are completely clueless.

gater Level 7 Mar 21, 2019

@TheAstroChuck you are a perfect example - an astrophysicist that doesn't understand space.

@TheAstroChuck I know that - when you understand what space is - you will also know that it extends forever.

@TheAstroChuck can't teach an old dog

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:315222
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.