Agnostic.com

14 2

What are your thoughts on pantheists, panentheists, deists, and Unitarian Universalists?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This site introduced me to UU. So far I have gotten involved in an immigrant sanctuary, organized a blood drive, and letter writing campaign. And it's only been 7 weeks!

"Seek not a perfect heaven, work for a good earth"

I've been agnostic and UU for most of my life. Yes, there is sometimes an abundance of woo, but I tend to ignore that. My UU church has a humanist service which is great. No woo at all.

1. LITERAL Pantheists? Well, they believe in divinity. and I don't. SCIENTIFIC Pantheists, for which the "theist" part is metaphorical? I believe they've got the right idea.

2. Nope. Contains divinity, which I don't believe in.

3. Presumes a god exists, so nope.

4. Good people. Sometimes a bit boring, but well-intentioned and asking good questions.

Maybe less annoying and dogmatic, but they still gotta back up their claims like every other group. So provded they aren't full kool ade drinkers, it's a "meh".

I like the UUs. They're just trying to find their way and build a community, which is what we're doing too. And they're pretty harmless 🙂

I think deists are pretty neat too. I find the belief in a builder hands-off god much more tolerable than theists. I mean, we say matter they say god. Then the conversation just moves on.

Pantheists etc are a more mixed bag. I find them neat and kind of attractive as a general rule, but there can often by an animosity as well, at least sometimes.

Why bother?

I <3 the Unitarian Universalists, in our community. I like their non-shaming and non-fear approach to personal growth and/or spirituality (different than religious).

They're more intellectual in their approach. There's a huge uu church in Columbus. I go there once in a while.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) is a liberal "religion" characterized by a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning". Unitarian Universalists assert no creed, but instead are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth. As such, their congregations include many atheists, agnostics, and theists within their membership.
So, if you are in this group because you consider yourself an Agnostic, Atheist, Humanist, etc, and you are looking for real (instead of virtual) community, you will be at home with UUs. Many UU groups call themself Congregation instead of Church to distance themselves from the religious aspects.
We joined a UU Congregation when in Texas because of their superb sex education program (OWL), age apropriate, that both of my kids attended. I wish I had gone through OWL as a child.

Unity is the same way. They do reference the Bible, some churches more than others, but it's a metaphysical interpretation, not literal. They don't believe in sin, hell, or any of that bullshit. Co-founded by Charles fillmore, who was extremely cerebral.

I like pantheism,

Like the idea of Nature, I can see it, feel it, and I have been in awe of it, but not as a diety, rather as a force in which I am an infantesable part, and yet because I am self aware I enable Nature's awareness of itself.

cava Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

why are they all in the same sentence?

I'm not implying they're all the same, if thats what it looks like.

@AustinSkepticus ok that is qhat it looked like

Any adherent to a belief in something unseen like gods, spirits, or forces is tolerable if they keep it to themselves, which I think they do for the most part. That said, just because science hasn't yet discovered an explanation for them doesn't mean they don't exist.

My default position is if there is no evidence for something's existence, it does not exist.

You from Missouri @jlynn37 ? 😉

There is no credibly verified phenomenon in the Universe for which a "god" is a good explanation.

Whatever. I'm still an atheist. Believe whatever delusions you want, just keep
it to yourselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31595
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.