Agnostic.com

13 3

I'm an atheist, and while my mind will never change, I was told something once that felt like a knife in my heart. I was saying someone at the time and I had become friends with his sister. They were a religious family and she was involved in the church but he wasn't so much. She was engaged and my then boyfriend and his sister were talking and she was brave enough to tell him that I would never be able to marry because I didn't have god in my heart and marriage was only between a man, woman and god. That hasn't changed my mind, but I thought it was pretty interesting that she say that. She basically told him then he should leave me. It's haunted me a bit ever since.

RinaLynn 3 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everything you are looking for, is looking for you .. If you are looking for love, you will find love .. If you are looking for happiness, you will find happiness .. If you are looking for sadness , you will find sadness .. If you look for fear, you will find fear .. if You are looking for marriage, you will find marriage, if you are looking for God, you will find God,Everything you are looking for, is looking for you

belfo Level 6 Sep 29, 2018

That is her opinion of marriage, not yours. You'll find someone I hope that is on the same wavelength as you.

Tell her she can Marry in a church and no state will recognize it legally. so it’s more like man woman and the state of Kentucky rather than man woman and God

Sad sick people.

Did he take his sister's advice?

You are crazy cute 🙂

For one marriage was around long before the christian god came about. Like most things "christian" it was taken to encourage converts

And create new little Christians .

Religion was invented not just to explain the world around us... but also to control people. Using shame, guilt, and "Us vs them" rhetoric is so deeply ingrained. People often don't realize how incredibly hurtful, hateful, and petty they are acting. Im sorry you had to experience that.

?? Truth!

Very wisely explained . Correct and to the point .

Religions put limits unto the oneself, barriers into the collective self and conditions for love.

I believe that it is best to meet someone that thinks as you do. I dated a very religious lady for over 2.5 yrs. and any mention of my belief would throw into a cursing rage . I wasted a lot of my love on this lady and could never get her to just look at the other side.

I know that feeling all too well, seems they'll date you, enjoy your company in many ways, but once marriage or a long term commitment that resembles marriage (moving in, meeting family, etc.) comes up... all the sudden their beliefs and your lacking belief becomes an issue.

I don't know the whole story in your situation, but the ones I have been through left me feeling... dirty. Like I'd been used and thrown out because I couldn't believe in their god. Like I'd been victim to some kind of conversion scheme sometimes. I don't know. Dirty is the best word I can think of to describe the feeling, used just doesn't accurately describe it.

Some of those pious @ssholes can be rotten when it comes to things like that. You shouldn't let it haunt you. She is the whack job...

Don't let other people define who you are. I'd have looked at that boyfriend and asked if that was how HE felt, because that's the only other opinion that would matter in the relationship. I am a strong woman and I need a strong man, not one who will let his sister tell him who to date, and not one who will let me tell him what to do.

That said, I'm here because I don't like conflict, so I'd like to eliminate one potential source from the start.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.