Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK The Physics and Philosophy of Time - with Carlo Rovelli - YouTube

FTVideo: From Boltzmann to quantum theory, from Einstein to loop quantum gravity, our understanding of time has been undergoing radical transformations. Carlo Rovelli brings together physics, philosophy and art to unravel the mystery of time.

zblaze 7 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"The time machine is us" nice

Thanks for posting this zblaze. I’m a great fan of Rovelli.

Me too. Now.

Time is not a mystery - its simply the measurement of the constant advancement of the universe.

gater Level 7 Mar 23, 2019

Time is not simple. Time, along with space, matter, and everything else in reality are deep and unfathomable mysteries. The little glimmers of insight gained through science are only superficial.

@WilliamFleming The Universe advances at a constant speed - we call it time.

@johnprytz And what then is motion? Without space and matter and matter you have no motion, but what we think of as matter is not stuff—it is interaction between covariant quantum gravity fields. And what about space? Space is not what you think. Rather than a smooth empty expanse extending to infinity in all directions, space consists of a finite number of granules of planck length dimension. From a cosmic perspective time does not exist.

Please be advised that your familiar everyday perception of the world is a put-up job, created by you. The nature of ultimate underlying reality is a deep and unfathomable mystery. Science provides only glimmers of insight of a superficial nature. Anyone who insists on thinking that reality is simply nothing but what they detect with their senses is wearing a mental blindfold.

@WilliamFleming you almost had it right - extending infinitely in all directions - that's what space is.

@gater You state your opinion with an air of absolute certainty. How can you be so sure in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary?

@WilliamFleming Because I completely understand the laws governing the Universe. I understand what time and space are - most scientists don't.

@gater Wow, quite a claim you are making!

What are your credentials?

@WilliamFleming Would credentials prove anything?

@gater No, but if you had your PHD in physics people would be more apt to give you credence.

@WilliamFleming I know Phds that are idiots. I believe in abstract reasoning - I had to correct my physics professor once - took over the class - I can see right through their silly theories.

@gater How did you gain this knowledge of yours? Have you published? I’d be interested in the abstract reasoning that led you to your findings?

@WilliamFleming Its very simple - time and space are infinite. There was no beginning of time, and time advances at the same rate everywhere is the Universe.

@WilliamFleming I can tell you that I was raised believing in the Creation - I learned from an early age to question everything - not only what the preacher said, but what my physics professor said - both were wrong.

@gater If you think physics has it wrong it’s not enough just to say over and over that you are right and they are wrong. The theories of physics are backed by very precise and stringent experiments and by mountains of data. Unless you have studied that data and are familiar with the experiments you are in no position to set forth alternate theories.

I am not interested in further discussion unless you can back your opinions with solid logic or evidence. For the last time, reality as we perceive it is not the real thing.

@WilliamFleming I didn't give you opinions - I gave you facts.

your "reality as we perceive it is not the real thing" - that's an opinion.

Yeah, he doesn’t even mention these guys so how credible can he be?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:316654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.