Agnostic.com

10 8

I couldn't agree more. Hard to find. So many people come into it thinking the complete opposite of what this says and wonder why their marriage never lasted.

mistymoon77 9 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely. Takes work. Which is why I've never been married. Wasn't ready. I am now, but in no rush.

Why I never bit the dust... didn't want to be another statisitic.

Personally I just see marriage as a symbolic thing like wearing a shirt with the logo of your favorite sports team or such. Or like changing your relationship status on facebook. It's the person that matters.

Besides that it can be a huge waste of money for some and for other unfortunate men it can mean they lose a LOT of money, since most of the time women divorce and destroy some men's lives. Oh well... I've not been in that situation, only my father has. I've really been put off by that experience. It was blatant sexism by the judge

Liviu Level 4 Mar 3, 2018

A marriage is just a contract to make people feel safer about investing themselves into another person. People get married for all kinds of reasons. Most people spend more energy deciding what kind of car to buy than they do on their spouse.

Quite a compelling description of uselessness of boxes for containing things that grow and thrive rather well without them.

its just a piece of paper, there are birds that are better than humans like albertross that choose wisely and stay paired for life.

I always called it 'getting skin in the game or carrying your own water'. I can't carry someone else's emotional or financial water. That's why I'm single again

My second marriage ended because he was only contributing financially, he did not give emotional support, or companionship, and was happy to abdicate most of the parenting. Our kids thought we should have divorced years earlier.

I agree. says the person with two divorces. so im not an authority mind you.(-:

On the contrary, I think too many people get married for all the wrong reasons...security being the number one! In my case, my first marriage was an attempt to distance myself from my dysfunctional family and my second was because that same dysfunctional family shamed me into providing a father for my "bastard child" (their words of course, not mine). Each marriage lasted two years. What a joke.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.