Agnostic.com

32 3

Fear, is it a motivator in your life?

There are so many things in our lives we cannot control. I feel that there is something always to 'fear' and maybe it is a much better motivator than anything else.

Is it the fear of being poor that keeps us in miserable jobs?
Is it the fear of being single that keeps us in bad relationships?
Is it the fear of other people that makes us want to have a gun for personal protection?
Is it the fear of getting hurt that makes us hard to find love?

What is your fear motivator?

Akfishlady 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fear is a strong and deeply ingrained motivator. However, unless you are in physical danger, I believe in the long run it is usually a harmful motivator.

Me personally, I do fear the day my husband can no longer work. I have health issues an a lack of work experience in anything that will cover insurance enough to manage my health accordingly. We are well above the need for any assistance so I haven't bothered even trying to get any. Unfortunately when he does retire our income wil half once his SS kicks in. It will not be enough to cover the most basic living expenses plus medical. As to the rest, they don't really bother me. I do keep a couple (only a couple, not a major arcenal) of rifles for hunting that could be used for protective measures. However I don't live in a high crime area, and I do make sure to take basic good-sense safty percausions like locking up and being aware of my environment at all times. I never feared changing jobs if things were not working out back when I did work years ago, and I never worried about getting hurt in love relationships or living alone if it came down to it. This too shall pass is a very strong mantra, and motto I live by.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

And I'm not sure what is going on but I can't seem to get the paragraphs to set up on this post, even after a handful of edit attempts. I'm on a pc so I don't know why it's giving me a problem here.

Fear is a tremendous factor in my life, and not in a good way. I fear rejection, so I don't reach out to others to develop friendships. And let's not even talk about the possibility of a romantic relationship....

I have significant physical limitations, so I am afraid of doing anything that might injure me. So I don't get much exercise and never develop a stronger body. That only increases my limitations and my fears over time, and I fail to do anything which would improve my mobility.

I fear growing old alone (I am 63 already), and I have no kids, no significant other, no siblings, nada. This makes me feel that there is no one who would care if I disappeared, so there is no point to sticking around and no reason to take better care of myself.

Damn depressing, now that I look at it on the page.

Not too much scares me - so no. If I let it take over, it renders me ineffective.

Probably fear of change for me.

I fear my Johnson getting caught in a zipper.

Oh and I fear for other people's safety. The only two people I really care for in terms of them getting harmed are my mother and father. My father passed away 4 years ago. So now I only fear for my mother. I hope I don't turn into a prick after she goes.

Love, Love MCs but the fear of being seriously injured like three guys I know that have lost legs made me quit riding. Quit smoking because of the fear of dying early. Quit drinking 35 years ago because of a real fear of totally screwing my life up...LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31846
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.