Agnostic.com

16 0

Would you want to know at a very early age when you would die?

Marine 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not on your nelly ! It would be like a countdown to a honey moon, you would be unable to concentrate on anything else.....Anyway, only other people die, not me. I have been baptised !

Yes I most certainly would. If I knew the exact time and date I would die I would not need to avoid anything out of fear of death. Which opens up a lot of possibilities.

Yes,
most probably May 2054, haven't decided on the date yet.
Reasoning?
I come from a long lived gene pool, apart from accidents or severe lifestyle choices, they all go into their 90s and beyond. Despite being seriously over weight, eye and shoulder damage, I am in very good health. No cholesterol, diabetes, prostate or any other issues showing up in my blood, heart is better than many decades younger so all augers well. I have a double indemnity life insurance policy that expires August that year and I do not wish the insurance company to beat me. So, a New Years celebration that lasts 5 months, then I exit.

I've always felt like you should live as if it were your last day, because how do you know it won't be? There are no gurarantees. If I die today I have no unfinished business of any real consequence. Those that are important to me know I love them. My manager is goign to miss me, as will the team because we're short handed as it is. I just hope someone misses me in time for the kids to come in a rescue the kitties. So, no, I don't want to know when I am going to die. Whenever it comes, I'm as ready as I'm going to be.

NO - I don't believe in knowing the future like that. I think it would give me major anxiety. Some things are better left unknown. I'm more into surprises. 🙂

I think that I personally would have been better off with that information. I'll never attempt suicide again because I am now aware of how unlikely it is to work, so I could have been saaved not only some unpleasant failures, I wouldn't have had to spend about a year contemplating "should I or shouldn't I" before my first serious attempt (thus not counting the "if it kills me, oh well" experiences in middle school" ). A whole year of that mindset in a critical developmental stage probably contributed to my PTSD, and maybe I would have spent that time more productively on an alterntive idea of how to get out of the pain of severe abuse. I prayed to God to let me die from before preschool until I kind of figured the whole God-thing was probably bunk anyway, so I don't think in my individual case, it would have caused even as much damage as not knowing.

Yes! Because I want to know if I should be saving money for a long life of goals and traveling the world in the future (potentially some touristy space travel in 30 or so years) or if I should be spending every dime I have today doing every bit of traveling and enjoyment I want. Should I be concerned about things like smoking/drugs because of the long term effects on my health or will I not be around long enough for it to make any difference anyway and meanwhile I could have been doing this or that. Not saying I'm pro-drugs, I don't mind smoking a bowl every now and then and having a few drinks but I also don't want to end up cracked out and lookin' 90 when I'm 50!

I'm a clock watching procrastinator. I anticipate what I want and put off what I don't. If death comes as a complete surprise I would consider that the maximal outcome.

it would be pretty awkward if some 8 year old got told that they will die when they're 11, haha

Liviu Level 4 Mar 3, 2018

Sometimes that happens, like with cystic fibrosis.

@ElizabethI I have a nephew with CF, he will turn 30 in August. Its hard for him and his folks knowing that they will likely live longer than he does, even though he's pretty healthy now.

@HippieChick58 Best wishes to you, him, and your family. Some people with CF live longer than others, and for some it is a very short time. I wish that I had something more comforting or understanding-sounding to say, but I recognize that I can't possibly understand what you specifically are going through at all unless you tell me. (((hugs)))

@ElizabethI I work short term disability claims. I had a recent claim from a 48 year old woman in pulmonary failure from CF. She even had kids. She made the most of the time she had which is the best any of us can ask for.

no

Sort of like an expiry date on your arm?

No! It would alter the fabric of my thoughts.

But you already know you're going to die one day, that doesn't do the same?

@StableGuinness Not at all. I would do things differently if I had a deadline.

"dead" line lol

No.

no.

I would not because I think it would greatly affect the way I might live my life and would hinder the decisions I might make.This would remove many of the delights of living. I might not take any risks like diving or flying. it would be a burden to know!

I have to agree, Victoria. I think, if I KNEW I was going to die in my bed at 75, I would try hanggliding, rock climbing, motorcycle racing. Of course should really keep in mind that although those things wouldn't kill me, they could still seriously maim and mutilate me. 😟

@DotLewis I'm definitely a no pain kinda girl.

I would be afraid that these things might make me die sooner rather than later>

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.