Agnostic.com

24 3

Lefty or Righty

Are you left-handed, right-handed, ambidextrous, or trained to be right-handed?

• 25 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 2 votes
Reignmond 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm left-handed. My mother would put something in my right hand, I'd smile and change it to the left. I shake hands with my left hand automatically - worst case was when I shook my Nigerian father-in-law's hand and he jumped back about a foot (many cultures use their left-hand to wipe their bum). I love the Italian word for left-hand "sinistra", which is where our "sinister" comes from. So much prejudice and even the buybull doesn't like lefties! Left-handers have been burnt at the stake for it. However, I spent my childhood managing and never thought being left-handed was a problem. Now, if a child can't have "left-handed scissors Miss!" (I'm a supply teacher), they can't do their work. And there are even left-handed shops. Power tools are apparently a danger. So glad my "problem" wasn't, & isn't, a problem for me.

@Silvertongue LOLZ

I am the only one of my siblings (there are 7 of them) that is left handed. My dad was, but he was made to use his right hand (he was born in 1928). He did everything left handed but write. They tried to change how I held my pen/pencil when I was in thrid grade, but that never worked with me. I am a lefty who does not turn my hand or paper at an angle when I write; I write straight across, but I hold my writing instrument kinda fucked-up......still! My stupid human trick, though: I can write "upside down", menaing I can write so you can see it rightside up for you, but not for me.

I'm the only one of six who is left-handed. 🙂

I was born left-handed but was later trained to be a righty so I would not be in-league with the Devil.

same, I still do many things left handed, many thing either hand.

Neither and both -- I'm libertarian.

Interesting fact about lefties - left-handed women have a 62% greater risk of developing Parkinson's Disease than right-handed women. Incidence of the condition does not vary between left-handed men and right-handed men.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

Leftys are more susceptible to dying by an accodent (power tools? ) too.

@AzVixen52 At least, these deaths are recorded as accidental... I reckon it's an evil righty plot to rid the world of lefties! 😉

As a child I was punished if I used my left hand. It was drummed into me that being left handed was wrong. Now I am cackhanded. I dirnk with my left hand and write with my right hand.

I was adjusted by a ruler across the bad hand. So now I write equally badly with both hands. I do everyhting important with my left hand: cut, slash, stir, comb my hair and teeth, use scissors equally well, put on eye shadow equally badly with both hands. You did not change me, you bastards!

I'm left for writing, batting and using hand tools but right on everything else. Had one teacher try to change me but my parents told the school to let me be what I wanted. One odd thing I found out was that the electrical local union I belong to did a study and found that 30% of the local members were left handed. That was10 years ago don't know what it is now.

I'm a righty so is my daughter I feel really bad that I couldnt help my sone to knit or sew as I didnt have a baldie how to do it left handed

You missed one. I had a kindergarten teacher who was CONVINCED I was a lefty. She spent the entire year convincing me to use my left hand. I catch a ball,use a knife and everything else with my right hand. Good intentions and all... The fun thing about it is that I discovered in college that I draw geometric shapes better with my right hand and organic shapes better with my left. I have horrendous handwriting to this day though.

I am left-handed when I write or paint and ambidextrous for almost everything else, I cut paper right handed only and do not do well left-handed, I had to learn because lefty scissors were not available when I learned to cut shapes out. I write straight across. So when I used erasable smearable ink, I made an ugly mess.
Edit: I think 12% of us are lefties now, it was a lower percent when lefties were made to be righties, most lefties are men, lefties have functions in the brain more centralized, lefties are more likely to have lefties in their families so there is a big genetic component.

Right-handed, but I wish I was left-handed because sinistral is such a nice word.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

I am right handed but make it a point to switch hands doing mundane tasks. I can saw, hammer, paint, sand, scrape just about any heavy work with either hand. My father taught me this so I can work all day. When the right gets tired, switch to the left and keep going. About the time the left is giving up the right is ready to go.

When I was young my parents made it a point to not allow me to write or draw left handed.

I use both hands.

Do you write with either hand with the same legibility?

After grade school I liked being a lefty. Always thought it was an advantage and kind of unique. Except at dining tables, I try to grab the left corners because righties usually take up their space and half of mine.

loo65 Level 3 Mar 13, 2018

As a kid I learned to write left-handed to help a friend with her cursive. It stuck. Now things are equal.

When I used to play video games, I noticed that my arm reflexes were better on my left, but my hand and wrist reflexes were better on my right. I expect this is a result of being born a lefty who was trained to be a righty.

For those who answer "ambidextrous," how do you define ambidextrous?

I've always wondered if people consider "I do some things with my left and some things with my right and some things with both hands" to be ambidextrous.

I'm lefty when I write or draw but I learned how to be proficient with my right as well as well as it gives me an advantage over the right hands guys cause they never had to develop that skill

I was born ambidextrous. I was trained to leave the seat up.

I am ambidextrous, but there are certain functions that are favored by one or the other. To be accurate, I would have to say that I slightly favor the left hand over the right, but not by much.

Question been asked before.

im ambidextrous

Did not realise there were so little left handers!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31925
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.