Agnostic.com

8 3

LINK Missouri House votes to allow Bible courses in public school

It's about time! What this country needs is a full-year course on the Bible exclusively, because we can't possibly teach it in church or Sunday school or at home...

Elganned 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I doubt that law will withstand a challenge on constitutional grounds.

Once these courses turn into proselytizing some secular group (FFRF) will go after them. Higher courts and even the Supreme Court has already ruled on the unconstitutionality of this and all that will happen is that those schools will lose a lot of money in lost lawsuits.

Good Luck with that. I love the FFRF and support them. But they have been called into the local schools twice. As soon as they leave things go right back to religious nonsense.

@freeofgod In order for FFRF to intervene someone must file a complaint. If things return to normal and the complaint gets refiled FFRF will step in again and, often, it leads to a lawsuit. Their newsletters highlight how thing proceed and the school eventually lose.

@JackPedigo Complaints were filed. The FFRF did come. Things returned to normal the next day. Stupid is beyond control.

Personally, I don't think school is the appropriate place to instill dogma, but if it is a comparative lit class, I can see it. As long as it is not mandatory curriculum.

If it is taught as a regular course without any preaching and students are allowed to question, I'm thinking they may end up with a lot of atheists at that school.

Taking four semesters of World Religions made me the atheist I am today 😉

Sweet!

That means we can also teach Satanism, Wiccan and Celtic paganism.

Funny anecdote, I have known a few Satanists in my life and they were the most pro-self defense (as in learn to fight well), honest, uninhibited, fiercely loyal people I've ever known.

Can't teach one if you don't teach them all.
Won't stand up in court.

If they are going to teach religion they should teach all religions.

I took an anthropology class entitled "World Religions", and found it very informative. As ignorant as most Americans are, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a course on World Religions in the high schools. At least, there would be fewer idiots mistaking Hindus for Moslems, or Pagans for Satanists!

I think we need a new law that requires science, or another religion, to be taught in churches.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:319298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.