Agnostic.com

3 0

Atheism, is it mainly just in relation to the Abrahamic religions?

Christians and Muslims (in all their guises) are the two largest religious groups in the world, as far as I'm aware, so the atheists I come across have all come from the above two as well as Judaism. Are there, and do we have any on this site, atheists whose former religion was none of the above?

I would like to hear anybody's thoughts on this but would be especially interested in someone who has 'escaped' a non Abrahamic religion.

ipdg77 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This site is frequented by Westerners, especially US and UK and other English speaking nations, so naturally, atheists here are going to be most familiar with various flavors of Christianity (loosely speaking, including some sects that some Christians disavow, such as Mormons and JWs and Science of Mind / Christian Science and Scientology), with a smattering of former Muslims.

I've met people online who are former Hindus or Buddhists, although they are rare, and I haven't encountered them on this particular site yet.

Atheism is lack of belief in any gods whatsoever, so no, Atheism is not inherently about Christianity or the Abrahamic religions.

I wasn't suggesting that atheism was solely Abrahamic god related but was trying to find out about other religions whose followers have left. The demographic of this site would seem to make it difficult to find out.

Mostly I think it is.

there have been other former Muslims post here. Some of them lived in countries where they would be threatened with death if this were known

I've read comments from Muslims but Allah is an Abrahamic god, what about Zoroastrians, Janes, Rastafarians etc, I've never heard from an atheist from those religions.

@ipdg77 gotcha not paying attention !

@btroje lol no worries 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.