Agnostic.com

9 0

Those of you who have lost weight and kept it off, what changes did you make?

I've tried several different things to lose weight in the past. Nothing has worked, at all. At most I can manage to lose a couple pounds. At worst, I actually gain instead of lose. I'm carrying around about 100 extra pounds and it's time to get serious. If you've lost weight and kept it off at least a year, what did you do? What would you suggest not doing as well?

UpsideDownAgain 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm still losing, have been overweight all my life. After my 5 year bout with pain, I'd gained to about 450 lbs. Over the past couple of years, I've lost about 150 pounds, and still losing, without struggle. I owe it all to my diet change, eating from the garden. I'm host to the group Battling Obesity. Read the pinned posts for details about my diet.

Thanks!

Lost 30 lbs in 3 months. No carbs.

I became vegetarian almost 7 years ago. I lost about 15 lbs. and have kept it off. At 53 I weigh less thsn I did in high school. Staying active helps too.

I quit eating processed foods, dairy, added sugar and only drink water, coffee or tea.

Thanks! Sounds like you kept things simple which is a must for me.

@Meili
If you take that route, be aware that you'll feel like crap for 7-10 days as you wean off the sugar. After that you have more energy than you've ever had in your life.

Just start eating only fresh foods. Fruit, vegetables, nuts. Lay off the beer and pizza. Start exercising, lile walking at lunch, park farther away from the door of where your going. Small steps can add up to a big change.

I'd stick to real food, and steer clear of packaged and fast foods. More than anything else, I'd avoid sugar/sweeteners (in all forms), grains, potatoes, alcohol, and industrial seed oils (so called vegetable oils, canola, peanut, sunflower...). Focus on nutrient dense, non-inflammatory foods like dark leafy greens, organic vegetables, wild-caught fish, berries, grass-fed meat and organ meat, good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, rendered animal fats). You don't need to go as far as full-on Keto, though with as much weight as you're wanting to loose that might help. If you do Keto, be sure to eat plenty of low carb veggies, and don't overdo the protein. AND whatever approach you take, it needs to be thought of as a lifestyle change... and permanent. I'd also have your doctor run blood tests so you know where you started (e.g. fasting blood suger, lipid panel, etc), and can see what's working or not.

Close to 100 off for almost a year now. Switched to the keto diet and never looked back. A friend of mine has dropped 40 pounds in 6 months just by limiting when he eats from 8 am to 4 pm, and changing nothing else.

The importaint thing is to find an eating style that matches your metabolism. You should never diet, but change your eating habits perminatly.

1of5 Level 8 Mar 28, 2019

See a counsellor about why you are overeating and what other coping and comfort strategies you can develop. Any diet that reduces your calorie intake will work but only if you keep to it. And for that it sound as if you need help. You would be welcome in the weight-loss group on this site!:We try to help each other.

Ohh, link please?

@Meili The group is called Battling Obesity.See you there!

@CeliaVL Thanks!

Cut out sugar. Cut out white flour (the starch in it turns into sugar when you digest it). Stick to a low-cholesterol, low-sodium diet. Drink LOTS of water, and eat as much high protein foods you can find. Also, get in the habit of taking daily walks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:319821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.