Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK Christian or Nothing: Buddhist Prisoner to be Executed Without Buddhist Chaplain - Rewire.News - Religion Dispatches

Christian privilege raises its ugly head, even when it come to execution.

Elganned 8 Mar 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pretty disgraceful when you know there are plenty of buddhist chaplains in the prison service. The least they could do is make one available.

It won't help him much, but maybe his estate can sue the government.

Reeks of inquisition type behavior.

Shouldn't the question be-- Why are those barbaric rednecks still continuing with this practice which has been discontinued in all civilised countries in the world ?

Japan not civilized? China, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand? The Middle East?

@WilliamFleming Not if they still kill people, and you missed out those beacons of civilisation Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.

@Moravian It’s good to know that the UK finally became civilized in 1965. Maybe we’ll achieve that distinction someday.

You are getting there Twenty states have already banned capital punishment. Sadly Alabama isn't one of them.

Why does it matter? The chaplain is nothing but an official witness, required by law. Others may be present as well. And prisoners have access to the counselor of their choice right up to the final walk.

It’s a non-issue, designed to stall for time.

It is an issue because Christians were given preferential treatment.

@Elganned Yes, I read the one-sided article, and I read further, kiramea’s link:

“ In a flurry of last-minute petitions, lawyers for Murphy said the state violated his religious liberty because it blocked the Rev. Hui-Yong Shih from being present in the execution chamber.”

They DO have access to the counselor of their choice. What difference does it make if the counselor is standing inside or outside the chamber? It’s too late for much counseling at that point wouldn’t you say?

There are good reasons why only prison employees are permitted inside the chamber.

@Elganned, @MizJ Not really. The Chaplain was to be there only as an official witness because he is an employee of the prison, not in the capacity of councilor.

The whole thing is nothing but a delaying tactic.

@Elganned I'm guessing you never served in the military?

@Elganned His chaplain is Rev. Hui-Yong Shih who has been in full consultation with the prisoner, so it is not true that the prisoner was denied the religious counselor of his choice.

I agree that someone other than a chaplain could have been designated as witness, and the whole ado could have been avoided. The lawyers would have no doubt thought of some other delaying tactic however.

There are chaplains from various religions on the payroll, but I am guessing there are not enough Buddhist prisoners to justify a full-time chaplain.

[tdcj.texas.gov]

@Elganned You don't seem to know much about government-employed chaplains. If you were in the military at some point, you would likely be aware they exist.

@Elganned How do you know that Christian prisoners get to have their chaplains in the room? How do you know it’s not just some chaplain who is assigned the duty? There are various chaplains on the payroll. It hardly matters IMO but if it makes you happy to stew over it go ahead. I’m surprised that anyone on this site would be so concerned about prisoners having religious counseling. Are you religious?

The dead police officer didn’t get to have a chaplain on hand.

@Elganned What are you rambling about now? You asked me what relevance your lack of military experience is, and I answered you. Now you're going on about Hindu chaplains and dead cops.

The Supreme Court halted the execution.

[cnn.com]

The same thing happened with a muslim, not long ago.
Yet another violation of the First Amendment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:320482
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.