Agnostic.com

12 1

Flat earthers, truthers, birthers, holocaust deniers, moon landing deniers?

What do you think about people who believe these things? Are they trolling, are they serious, are they just misinformed?? Are you any of these or a friend/family member?

StableGuinness 4 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The irony of a flat earther using telecommunications technology which often relies on satellites in orbit around the Earth, is enough to make one simultenously laugh and cry. Having worked for many years in space operations, how I would have enjoyed seeing a prominent flat earther strapped into the passenger seat of Elon Musk's Tesla roadster with Starman!

Many of these people who post Utube Conspriacy theories such as the earth is flat or NASA never went to the moon ect. seem to be in the grip of a mindset that has all the characteristics of a cult. They seem to have a deep emotional need to believe in things that give them the elusion that they are the custonians of 'special' knowlege which the rest of the world is to be 'educated' about.

My adult son has joined this band of strange people, and has a closed mind to any deviation
from his beliefs. I feel it is no different to any other fanatical fixture of mind, such as religeon. Their minds are locked into these states, no matter how rediculous the subject, Don't bother to waste your time trying to make them see reason, the brains logic switch is set firmly off.

I feel for you. My adult son has recently "found" relgion. It sucks.

I do not believe that flat Earthers are trolls. They seem to be people that were not trained to think critically. Most I've read/watched seemed intelligent. I think they have a big distrust for authority (I'm sympathetic) and believe they are being lied to. Even though I think they are kind of sad, I feel bad for them.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 4, 2018

Wow GeffB, you make very nice soft comments regarding this subject. I must re-think my attitude which is rather harsh and straight to the point. You have a good attitude.

The human brain is wired for pattern recognition, not logic. This is a feature, not a bug. The caveman who thought every rustle in the grass was a saber tooth had better survival odds than the ones who said "It's just the wind, don't be stupid!" Granted in the modern era politicians and hucksters are getting better at exploiting those who exhibit this tendency, but they are just functioning the way evolution made them. And yes, a number of my friends and relatives are prone to conspiracy ideation, so what?

These are the same people who think Elvis movies are good.

I used to argue with flat earthers, but gave it up. I no longer care what idiotic nonsense they believe.

Most of this is insanity of one form or another. Strange things on You Tube. Some true and some not. Some doctored and some not. Here's one that gets me. UFO's are real and here is the picture to prove it. This grainy, unclear, "it might be" photo.
Sorry folks. We live in a digital age and this means you should have clear and concise pictures. Stop showing me this nonsense.

What gets me is so many people believe all the shit they see on youtube etc.

I have a friend who mentioned he doesn't believe anyone really landed on the moon. I'd never heard that before, and was kind of dumbfounded. Like, really !!??

When we get people to Mars I'm sure many won't believe it either. They even deny Elon's Tesla up there.

@StableGuinness I guess we have to send THEM up in the spaceship , to prove it !

I think they are the absolute worst people to ever speak to. They make my head hurt with their logic.

[ absolute lack of logic ! ]

They are rebellious and want to disagree for the sake of it, rebels without true causes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32060
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.