Agnostic.com

17 6

Where do you fall on the Dawkin's Scale of Theistic Probability?

1. Strong theist. 100% probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."

2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100%. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."

3. Weak Theist. Higher than 50% but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."

4. Pure Agnostic. Exactly 50%. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."

5. Weak Atheist. Lower than 50% but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."

6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."

7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

• 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 39 votes
  • 30 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In no way am I going to vote Yes to a god or God. That would be the equivalent of willingly voting for a totalitarian to dominate the world and we all know where that goes!

To me, it's pretty hard to be a seven and maintain logical integrity. Stating that you KNOW there is no God requires proof and evidence, and you can't prove a negative by the simple laws of philosophy and logic. So I get all the "six point niners" here.

simply there is no god . Science says this and philosophy as well

All gods are constructs of humanity. The character of Jesus in the bible is entirely fictitious.

I am a strong atheist because it is my view that organized religions are generally detrimental to the advancement of our species. I consistently promote reason and skepticism and actively take a stand against religious intolerance. I am certain that there is no deity as defined by any of the world's present or past religions, and there is no burden of proof upon me to defend that 100% certainty.

If I were to claim that I know there is no god I would be accepting a burden of proof as much as someone who claims there is one. If I were to have a more accurate rating of my position it wouldn't be 6 it would be 6.9 but not 7.

Paul Level 5 Nov 12, 2017

Strictly speaking, and to be philosophically correct, I'm a 6.9.

The atheist who makes the claim has the same burden of proof on his shoulders as the theist. Okay, I grant that the evidence in favor of the atheist is incredibly strong, but it is not complete thus making the claim that there is no god or gods or other supernatural elements is intellectual suicide.

I operate on the assumption that there is no supernatural at work in our universe, but will not make the claim.

I am Defacto atheist/evidentialist/rationalist. Humanist on the side.

I disagree. One cannot disprove something exists that has not been proven to exist in the first place.

What did you just say? Try to explain exactly what that means, cuz I'm lost.

#6 Defacto Atheist
I can not say for certain that there is no god . However , im 99.999% certain no god exist .

shit i should have looked at that a little closer. all i saw was "do not believe" and wound up voting god fearing twit

I'm #7.
Based on my scientific and artistic mind; my spiritual, emotional and material worlds, and so i don't see it as the flip side of #1

I usually describe myself as devout atheist, and yes as far as I am concerned there is nowhere in the universe where a god has been found.

I'm a de facto atheist. Anything stronger for me requires a lot more definition of God or gods. Some specific gods, though, like Yahweh, I fully disbelieve in because I'm familiar with the history of the society and religion that produced the particular deity and can see it for the manmade concept that it is (without surmising). But sticking with vaguaries I am a solid #6.

"I know there is no God" is as arrogant as "I know there is a God". There is no evidence for either position. If the scale were based on evidence then I'm sure we know what the response would be 🙂

I'll never go 100%, that would make me no better than the most obtuse Baptist.

I'm more open to possibility than theist, and the singular GOD in this quiz is too constrictive for my beliefs. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a polytheistic, Buddhist, Christian agnostic. In order of precedence. and I'm happier believing there is more to this world than we humans; it would be sheer hubris to believe we're as good as it gets, and even more hubris to think we know what comes next.

I voted 6 but I'm more of a 6.9. 😉

This appears to be Abrahamic-centric. Is it?

The OP can chime in here, but ya, I think the tendency leans towards the 3 monotheistic religions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.