Agnostic.com

5 0

New relationship possibly

Met a new woman and we have been out a few times now. She seems a bit unaccepting and judgemental about some of my behaviors at times. It's as though she expects me to please her all the time and she has never really told me what she wants. She complained that I don't touch her enough, but I feel like she hasnt really reached out to me either. So I now think that maybe one or both of us are confused? Does this make sense?

Remowill 7 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a bad sign when the criticism and judging starts this early. But it also does you a favor; you're getting a merciful preview before you're in too deep.

I sympathize. Our generation never learned how to communicate well, especially where romantic relationships are concerned. We were shown how our relationships were supposed to look, but the picture presented to us was not realistic. It's uncomfortable to have to step outside the box and bare your soul, but everybody who has suggested that you openly communicate with her is absolutely right.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 1, 2019

My suggestions would be to ask questions--like when she seems unaccepting or critical of something you do, ask her what exactly about it bothers her & why? You can ask in a friendly way so she doesn't get defensive. Then you can discuss what do do about the issue, if anything. It's hard to say when you don't say what these things are. Like if you are a smoker, she may want you to quit but if you can't or don't want to, perhaps agree not to smoke around her? (just as an example)

Do you like to touch her? She is being clear about what she wants there, but if you aren't comfortable with a lot of physical contact yet, just tell her you prefer to take things slowly. Otherwise, when she mentions it, that's a good time to tell her that you would also like her to touch you more--you could even tell her what you like--hugs, back rubs, whatever....

Carin Level 8 Apr 1, 2019

It sounds like a communications problem. I think you need to sort this out soon.

Maybe ask her to clarify? Other than conversation, I don’t know. Tell her how you feel.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:322240
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.