Agnostic.com

7 2

How well can you tell factual from opinion?

This is where a lot “news” gets twisted too. People take opinion as fact. I missed one though
[pewresearch.org]

BohoHeathen 8 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think what has led to most of the arguing on this thread is that people sort of missed the part that said "Regardless of how knowledgeable you are about each topic, would you consider each statement to be a factual statement (whether you think it is accurate or not) or an opinion statement (whether you agree with it or not)?". Some of the facts presented may not have been accurate, but they were still not opinions, even if they were incorrect. I missed one; I checked an opinion as fact, probably because I sort of agree with the statement, but after thinking about it, it was worded as an opinion, not a fact, even though that particular opinion could be true. Such is life. I shall have to brush up on my critical thinking.

A fact is verifiable, an opinion isn't. Always question what you read -- if it something that affects your thinking.

Interesting, I missed two factual. Got the rest correct. Confirming the fallibility!

(9 out of 10.
i still think more is spent on defense when all the graft & corruption is taken into account than on social programs.

100%. While the questions are very easy to answer correctly, the breakdown at the end is interesting in that it shows how people are more likely to see a statement that appears to confirm their own biases as factual even when it's clearly worded as opinion.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 3, 2019

It’s all opinion.

Only got one wrong:

ISIS lost a significant portion of its territory in Iraq and Syria in 2017.

You answered: Opinion statement
The correct answer: Factual statement

Does that not depend on someone opinion on what ‘significant’ means?

@TheAstroChuck If you say so.

@TheAstroChuck So if we lost Washington DC to ISIS control that would not be significant?

@OwlInASack I did the same thing. On almost all of them I could make a case that they are opinions in the same way I did with the ISIS one.

Like I said hyperbolically, it’s all opinion.

@OwlInASack If it said ISIS loses 22%... it would be more clearly a fact.

@TheAstroChuck So, is that a yes or no?

@TheAstroChuck Well, Thanks for sharing your opinion on all that.

Though, I do think Washington DC is a significant portion of th US.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:323698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.