Agnostic.com

32 11

Alright... let's go there.

Polyamory vs. Monogamy
or however you want to phrase it...

Do you believe that we as human beings should be progressing towards POLY type relationships - not expecting one person to meet all our needs, and not being expected by one person to meet all of their needs...

Or are you solid in your monogamous ways?

I was seeing a fella who is poly, and it gave me a lot of anxiety... but I'm not sure if it gave me more or less anxiety that if we were doing things one on one. He was honest about his activities, and when he was with his other girlfriend I would feel sick...but at least I knew what he was doing, and he wasn't just 'out with friends' for me to imagine if he was lying or cheating. Yes, I know I have major trust issues with men, that's a much deeper and longer story.

But how do you feel, what do you think?

doglvr1882 5 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I definately have different people in my life who fill different needs, people here for interesting discussions. people I work with to complete community projects, ocassionally a friend to see a movie with, someone to go tp coffee with. Lots of gaps though.

In the past I believe most relationships were poly with men having more than one woman. But with the advent of Judeo/Christian religion in the west it changed.
I would like to be in a poly relationship but I find it hard to convince women.
A poly relationship also doesn't necessarily have to involve sex. It could just be a love relationship for more than one other person.

I'm all for doing whatever makes you happy/comfortable. That said I am not very good at monogamy on many levels. I don't want to have children nor do I care to get married and so I see no reason to be with just one person. I don't like the possessiveness or ownership factor of being monogamous. What I mean is how people feel that you are theirs and since you are "in a relationship" you are restricted in what you can and cannot do (and with whom). I rebel in these sort of situations and while I have never cheated on a partner I have been very detached when I felt that I couldn't explore or express a side of myself (sexually, mentally, socially) because of my partner/relationship.

I'm also not very good at the widely accepted ideal of polyamory either because I find that I can receive/enjoy different versions of love and affection from different people. I don't wish to place any relationship type (friends, sex partners, bf/gf etc.) above or below any other. For me, they are pretty much all equal. I do not wish to share my space or all aspects of my life with another person either. I realize that even in polyamorous relationships moving in together and sharing space/life is still an important step. One I'm just not interested in since I value my personal space and happiness above( most) everything else.

I am poly myself. I do not see it as progressive towards anything. I think and feel it is an inclination, an orientation. It chooses us and not vice versa. I would say it is not for everyone and would be in the minority on a spectrum of behavior. Jealousy varies from person to person and I would say comes from a fear of loss. It often makes for a self fullfiling prospect.

I think it's important for you to pay attention to that gut feeling when he is with others.

I think humanity needs to work on learning to be happy with themselves first and then letting other people decide what is best for themselves.

Certainly not everyone can pull off poly. you have to really do some soul searching and you will feel the answer in your gut. Maybe sharing someone in a 3way first would be easier for some people???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.