Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Famous Authors Are Writing Books for a Time Capsule Library None of Us Will Ever See

"In the frosty forest of Nordmarka, Norway, the seeds have been quietly planted to save the future of the written word. Every year for the next 100 years, 100 famous authors have pledged to each write a novel that will remain unpublished until the 22nd Century, when they will be published as part of the ambitious ‘Library of the future’. For each work written, a spruce tree will be planted on vast lot, making a new forest. The manuscripts will be printed on paper made from the trees in the year 2114."

whispers 7 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally I think it is a fantastic idea. There aren't many who would consider doing something for the future with no expectation of acclaim in the present.
If there's one thing I'm enthralled by it's the idea of finding buried treasure, and what greater treasure do humans have than the written word.
This post has given me an idea.

@whispers I have 3 granddaughters. I'll have them write their stories; whatever they may be, along with some "treasures", and then seal them in glass jars or metal boxes, or both, and then we'll bury them somewhere. In 20, or 100, or 1000 years maybe someone will dig them up, and discover whatever it was the kids were thinking or doing that day in the past. And they're young enough still that they will either forget all about the "time capsules" or at least not remember where they were buried, so that they won't be tempted to dig them up themselves. Perhaps I can convince my friends to do likewise. Imagine you were digging in your garden, or putting in a new sidewalk, or whatever, and came across something like that; what a treat.

Tell them not to forget to rake the forest so there aren't any fires. If they need rakes they can borrow some from Finland.

Another immortality project for the wealthy. Whatevs!

Interesting. Wonder how many will be duds.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.