Agnostic.com

10 0

What is Love?
Elsewhere in this site there are conversations about incondicional love and other Love related ones. But, can you give me your definition of Love? Can we arrive to one definition we can all agree on? One that can be put to the test in a miriad of circumstances and still hold?

Rodatheist 7 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ok, so, I got 9 responses. Here is a definition containing the elements of all nine responses. See if there is anything you don’t agree with: Love:
An instinctive, totally subjective, undefinable concept involving reality and fantasy of intimacy that makes one care for the well being of the loved person through a feeling that originates from within for self serving reasons that makes us recognize ourselves in the other person, accepting that person and overlooking shortcomings to the point of wishing to share our life with that person and that is not based on physical attraction and for which there is no manual, script or rule, making it hard to find it or sense it.

You could be a tad more specific. Love of your partner, child, parent, sbling or other relative, your best friend, an activity, hobby, music, a painting, a poem, a flower, a sport...Kind of hard to find a sigle definition to cover all that.

We can never arrive at one definition of love. We probably can agree that love includes the ability to overlook some of the short commings of the one we love.

It's just acceptance and the desire to share our life with someone

I think love is the recognition of the unity of all sentient creatures. Particularly, the recognition of ourselves in others. Happi

happi Level 1 Mar 4, 2018

Love is when you instinctively care for someone beyond purely logical response (like) but not based on physical attraction (lust). It has varying types ranging from familial to friend to romantic to a stronger like for something, someone, or an idea than neccessary.

Love is a feeling, it originates in you benefits only you and really has nothing to do with the other person. Of course it's best if the other person feels the same way but it's just a feeling. I heard that on a movie once I don't remember some chick flick but I like the definition.

Everyone has that picture in their minds of some form of intimacy between two people. That's why I'm convinced that a love relationship is a combination of both fantasy and reality. I don't think anyone can define love in anything other than conceptual terms.

No. Love is wholly subjective and there can never be one single definition that everyone can agree upon.

Love is saying your well being is just as important to me as my own is to me. IMHO

I like that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32521
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.