Agnostic.com

1 1

Stockholm Syndrome - Greydon Square
Stockholm syndrome is a condition that causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity.
· ? Battered woman syndrome

Rossy92 8 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The psychological definition of this human propensity demonstrated in physical captivity is limiting. Nevertheless, but for specific identification, we might have missed recognition of broader, related phenommena altogether.

As social creatures we instinctively seek out our 'place of belonging' (similar to imprinting) after gestation; about half of which takes place after birth. If nourishment and affection are ample after birth, finding is automatic as is identifcation. Instinctual primary drives, however, are gradually deprived of this and other kinds of satisfaction as 'socialization' is imposed. Belongingness expands beyond family to community/tribe, society as a whole including nationality. Institutions require differing amounts of cognitive surrender as the price of membership. Because societies are defined and dominated by males following secondary, often pathological drives, institutional functions follow suit; themselves becoming pathogenic.

People deprived, either by damage, usurpation or both of healthy reasoning faculties are vulnerable to having their entire 'place of belonging' sensually subsituted; to being in psycholgical and emotional captivity. Walls and bars are absent and unnecessary, as also happens with Stockholm Syndrome once cult-type 'imprinting' occurs.

Under such circumstances, YES we are all vulnerable and blinded to our own complicity in our own enslavement. NO mystery why pollice dread answering domestic violence calls at all. Uncle Tom goes much deeper than mere deference to the dominant population.

NO other ethnic/racial grouping, shows more complicity in their own social oppression than Americans with African ancestry. I have a
French great grandmother. French is included as a minor portion when describinig my mostly Irish heritage and nobody bats an eye. Had she been from Leopoldville I'd be considered BLACK. Rest assured, describing heritage the same way in the latter case would cause a shower of criticism from others with African ancestry accusing me of being ashamed of being black! Anybody remember Tiger Woods? This attitude is pure Jim Crow, yet few Americans, regardless of race, notice the self-perpetuated oppression.

Fanaticism thrives because of this, artifically imposed maladaptive damage.

It's a complex issue, and I wouldn't venture to pretend to have a clear understanding most of the dynamics involved. I do feel that "battered women syndrome" does seem a very close relative to Stockholm Syndrome, with your point about police dread of domestic violence calls being very cogent. Upon reconsideration, however, I'm not sure that "Uncle Tom Syndrome" bears nearly as close a relationship to Stockholm Syndrome. And I do agree that as a collective, too many Americans of Black ancestry, whether it's more than or less than 50% I have no clue, are too quick to label too many behaviors as "Uncle Tom". I will be removing that example from my post.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.