Agnostic.com

4 5

Why the Video of Hasan Minhaj Teaching Ellen to Say His Name Went Viral

He taught a lot more than pronunciation.

I have a friendly neighbor from Venezuela whose first name I cannot pronounce. Anrre' is as close as I can get. Rolling r''s and only one vowel trip me up. Feel like a blithering ass.

"Call me Angie," she says with a smile.

"That Minhaj brought his parents to the studio and called the proper pronunciation of his name “a big deal”—seemingly to them—demonstrates a rhetorical shrewdness worthy of the comedian’s years on school debate teams. The presence of his mom and dad implies that the care people take to say an individual’s name correctly (or as correctly as possible) doesn’t just indicate an idiosyncratic preference, but confers respect to their family and culture as well."

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those of us with consonant - heavy Polish surnames can definitely relate. Many of us just give in and promote a common mispronunciation because it's easier. Personally, I use an easy - to - pronounce alias for things like ordering a pizza or making a reservation. The struggle is real.

I speak a tiny bit of Finnish. All of my grandparents came from Finland. I know the sounds of the rolling "r" the best. My father said it sounded right when I read the words if only I understood them all. It's a very unique language.

As a soccer referee I get to check the roster and player passes for each team prior to the game, and some of those names are difficult to pronounce correctly. When I stumble on one I ask the player how it is pronounced so I can get it right the next time I see it.

I generally try to pronounce names properly and yes it can be difficult ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:327576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.