Agnostic.com

16 2

Would You Ever "Drive" A Self-Driving Car?

Every so often while listening to NPR (yes, it's my addiction, I'm ratting myself out), I hear a story about how close we are to having "autonomous cars", and something in me recoils in sheer atavistic horror. I can't imagine letting a car drive me around.

I realize intellectually I'm letting an airplane fly me around any time I might get on a commercial jet, but that's different. The autopilot has a lot fewer elements to cope with; no pedestrians, no stop signs, no other vehicles mere feet away, no street directions to follow, and ground control monitoring the whole environment.

Simply put, I don't trust a computer to drive the way I do. And I don't trust the machine to have human reflexes and instincts in the real world, no matter how well they can simulate them in a computer environment. There are too many variables.

It's bound to communicate wirelessly with something somewhere; that means it's vulnerable to hacking. If it can be hacked, it will be hacked, just to prove it can be done.

I don't like the thought of a car robotically driving the speed limit. If I'm late for work, I'm going to go a little faster. End of story.

The day I can teach the car how to drive... I might consider it.

How about you?

• 10 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 9 votes
Paul4747 8 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You seem very worried about something you don't know much about at the moment. It be a good idea for you to find out more about what is coming our way. Watch these video's by people who own cars that are ready for self driving as soon as it is available. Cars that have tech to fully self drive have been available in cars since whenever the Tesla Model S was available for purchase, and people have been training the cars to eventually be ready for full self driving someday soon. I suggest watching "Now you know, Autonomous Driving Future" Youtube video series.

Source:

In the early 1900s there were a lot of people that swore they would never choose to drive a horseless carriage. Slowly, those metal beasts took over and those people bought cars. Many are sharing this standoffish attitude toward electric cars. Strange, that electric cars were around before Henry Ford decided to use an oil derivative to make his oil company friends money. All-electric self-driving cars are the evolutionary future of the automobiles.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 11, 2019

I have no problem with electric cars. It's the self-driving that I'm against.

Interestingly, since you mention horses, I also don't like those. Tried riding one only once. I don't trust any form of transportation that steers itself.

When they become the norm, what will the police do in lieu of drunk driving arrests? How will communities make up for the revenue raked in from traffic tickets???

I suspect drivers will still be required to stand ready to take over steering in an emergency, just like an airline pilot taking over from the autopilot. No system is perfect.

@Paul4747 You are correct, but originally the Tesla Model S, and X which could drive you straight down the highway on its own could be used without the need to have your hands on the steering wheel, but they later changed that do to at least one death and then required you to have your hands on the wheel every now and then in order to make sure your paying attention and ready to take over. Note this was level 2 self-driving not level 4 or 5 which is fully autonomous driving.

Yes! I drive out of necessity though, not because I love it, like some people do.... and if driverless cars made the accident/death rate go down, that would be amazing.

It would be, but I fear it won't be. It's only as good as the programming. Programmers are notorious for only finding the bugs after the product is put into service. That's fine when all that's at stake is someone's cell phone, but when it's a ton or two of metal at 60 mph, it scares me.

I get how it would be hard to trust the prgramming (especially at first because you are correct, there will always be bugs.....). But right now, we are trusting other human drivers every day (good drivers, bad drivers, drunk drivers, texting drivers, old drivers, young drivers, etc....). Traffic fatalities are just an accepted fact and the death toll is high [safer-america.com]

I love driving so the idea of not is not appealing

I remember when people went nuts because wearing seat belts was mandatory. People went crazy when the automobile came out and started to replace the horse. Human beings in general don't like change. Change and death are inevitable.

Seat belts is the law. It's not impossible to drive a car without one. Subtle difference.

If there were some kind of interlock that made it impossible to turn the key until your belt was fastened, people would just fasten the belt forever and then sit on top of it. Humans don't like technology telling them what to do.

Likewise, the day it becomes mandatory to have a computer driving your car for you- is the day I become a pedestrian.

@Paul4747 It is the same. It is change. You will probably be dead by the time it happens, so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

I think the technology is still in development, so maybe not yet, but I would definitely try it in the future. I can't say I'd use it exclusively, though. I like to drive.

I don't think you will have a choice because of the congestion on the road. Giving complete control over to your on board computer guidance system, operated through a centralized system I think, will become a requirement for entering major highways especially those that dump commuters into major cities.

cava Level 7 Apr 10, 2019

Why would I trust a computer to do that? The same computer that shuts down for a Windows Update for an hour every week?

I don't think it will be one computer, I don't have the engineering but info I've read suggest improved on board protections for cars regardless of who is in control, sensors along certain routes which can communicate with cars, and a central system providing direction and support.

@cava Look at the issues with the 737. Now multiply that by the number of cars on the road. This is why I don't trust industry to perfect an autonomous car.

@Paul4747 suit yourself, like I said I doubt it will be a choice in the future.

I’m one of these women that loves to drive and hear the growl of an engine.
It’s coming I’m just not mentally ready for it yet.

I put one of those loud exhaust systems on my car mostly due to the fact it was way cheaper than the factory exhaust. I thought the same thing loud and sounds cool and they do sound cool, but they do get annoying to drive due to it being loud. I will be happy when I have an electric car without the loud engine. My next car will be electric so I don't have to deal with a loud engine ever again.

@Vintenar I’m the opposite, my car has had a setting to amplify the noise. My son wants a Tesla for his 16th.

@Green_eyes Well, I would say he would be a very fortunate kid to get something that nice for his 16th birthday. I would like one as well, but they are a little pricey. I'm saving for an electric car, hopefully, it winds up being a Tesla.

I'm betting, just like every other driver on the road, that you think you're one of the "better" drivers out there.

You're most probably not, and your " if I'm late to work I speed" comment makes me hope you never teach anything to drive.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 10, 2019

Unlike them, I'm right.
The only accident I've ever been in was when another driver T-boned me in a parking lot; I had the right of way and she ignored a yield sign. That's 37 years of driving. Thanks for your opinion, though.

Never... I don't want Jesus as my co-pilot OR AI...

Never say never but pretty close to a hard no for me.

hell no! i'd sit back and get drunk while the car does the driving.

Heck yes.

People need to make like Elsa and let go. The fear of accidents is real, but it more than likely doesn't even come close to the accident rates of human drivers. Or is the real fear just losing the control, because you're a great driver and never get in wrecks blah blah blah.

What's the best part of a road trip? It's not fucking driving. Imagine setting the car on autopilot and being able to participate in the bullshittery without having to deal with traffic.

Elsa who? Is that something to do with the voice from the phone people talk to? (I hate that thing too.)

@altschmerz .... huh

I know the technology will be there, eventually but maybe not solidly enough in my lifetime.

And sometimes I enjoy driving. Right now I have an automatic but miss my stick and plan to go back.

I'd like to try it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:328072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.