Agnostic.com

12 2

So, The Shape of Water won. It was very good, but still not so sure it was the best picture of the year. Any thoughts?

Scarecrow 5 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

From the contenders I viewed, it was definitely my favorite. I did like Three Billboards a lot but Phantom Thread, Mudbound, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, and Get Out weren't as impactful for me.

SamL Level 7 Mar 5, 2018

I loved it..was very happy it won B.P..

Best picture was Black Panther. #teamkillmonger #wakandaforever. 😀

JeffB Level 6 Mar 5, 2018

That'll have to wait until next year. 🙂

Pfft. Actors.

Don't follow shows that are about pepole giving themselves awards. Isn't that like watching the dryer spinning the clothes.

I was able to see all of the so-called "best pictures" this last year. I thought Ladybird and Get Out were the best. 3BB's was good until Woody died and then it kinda lingered. Phantom Thread was so boring I could hardly move as was that lame Call me by your name. Not sure the fascination over Del Toro's movie.

All award shows whether it's sports, music, or movies make no sense to me. The voting is so completely subjective. John Wayne best actor, Taylor Swift Grammy winner, give me a break. The MVP in sports, what is it based on? Most valuable to their team or the league? Every team has a player that is most valuable to them. The most valuable to the league is the player who puts asses in the seats or brings eyeballs to the television screen. It isn't about the best player or LeBron James would win every year in the NBA.

I have seen all of the best picture nominated films this year and while I loved all of them, I expected LadyBird or Three Billboards to win. My favorite however was The Shape of Water. I absolutly loved it.

I'm very biased on this topic. Being a fan of Guillermo del Toro and seeing his genius recognized by the Academy is a special kind of joy, but mostly I love that a horror movie won best picture. It was also a beautiful film overall, with so many elements that are quite relevant for this year in particular about acceptance, and I truly think it deserved the win.

But was it REALLY a horror movie? I found it to be more of a romance and social commentary.

Didn't see any of the films nominated. The last movie that I went to see was "The Last Jedi". Before that, it was "Rogue One". I only go to the theater for Star Wars movies. The rest, I wait for them to show up on HBO, Netflix, or Hulu. Finally watched "Wonder Woman" a couple of weekends ago.

Award or not, I enjoyed both movies.

I thought it was very good too, I'm many aspects. I enjoyed the rollercoaster of emotions the film caused. I did realize however, that it was merely a look at ourselves as a society and who we could be as individuals. I think that's why it won. Very retrospective.

@okiestache your right, intro was the word I meant

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32915
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.