Agnostic.com

7 2

Is there such a thing as a "soul"?

• 8 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 5 votes
Davenport 3 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As much as I love an opportunity to use the word 'mayhap', I must say my answer is no. I leave a . 01% door open to being wrong on the matter, lol. I think the soul is the mind, it's where our consciousness is and the most important thing that makes 'you' truly 'you'.

A soul...or life force..energy...the word soul has religion attached to it for whatever reasons..but I personal think a soul is our energy...and energy does not die..or who knows we may fade like stars..over time.. But in that time lived thousands of lives...we may never truly die...just recycle

Probably not, but if there was some proof I’d have to rethink my position.

But there are "soles".
And a sole is as much a soul
And maybe more
For it walks the miles
And treads the floors
It is our grind upon this Earth
And nothing else
By which we have defined any worth
And hope it helps
My body needs no whistles
Needs no bells
Rung within the ether,
heavens, or hells
Save me not
And let me rot
Forget me so
And so it goes...

I hope it’s okay to share that because I did. Vonnegut used to say “and so it goes” and it’s the epitaph I use. Now it has depth. Thanks.

Yes, but only while the body that houses that soul is alive, after that when the body is dead, the soul vanishes, ie ceases to exist.

I respectfully disagree. I think souls are recycled. How else would you meet an "old soul?" I've known plenty. And this has NOTHING to do with ANY religion.

I think there's a thing which is defined of character, of experience, and of what we've taken to be sacred that becomes our inner core. Who we are, if you will, and will make us act in certain ways (especially when acting reflexively). For lack of a better word I would call that core a soul. There is also part of us that's pure energy (electrons?) and energy doesn't die. I've heard that science can't account for a small amount of weight which leaves the body after death and I think that's the energy which will become part of something else.
Now does that energy have memory, or knowledge? I don't believe it does so I wouldn't call it a conscious thing. In trying to explain ghostly activity, however, I wonder if that energy isn't electrons which are held to a local area by some magnetic activity? By local I mean this sphere. If so, and by chance became arranged (momentarily) in the same pattern as a person they once were, might certain people not sense it? IDK. Just a guess. I no longer think on it much more than that.

I don't believe in any god(s) so there is no reason for me to believe we have a soul that rises out of our dead bodies and floats up to heaven to eternal paradise. Or to sink down into the fiery pits of hell to be tortured for eternity.

It looks pretty silly when it's put like that doesn't it? 👍

Yes, it's persuasive from your limited view. If people have spirits (souls) that define who they are, how they process things, etc. and disappear in that 'identity' when the person dies. It's not a thing, but a living force generated by the living body of that person.

@AstralSmoke To me that describes a personality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.