Agnostic.com

27 4

How do I stop my negative self-talk?

Growing up and even now, I've always been told these things; I'm ugly, I'm stupid, I suck at this or that, I'm fat, and I'm too skinny. I've basically brainwashed myself and I tell myself I suck at work. My boss says I'm too negative about myself. People tell me I'm beautiful a lot, but I've been telling myself they're lying to make me feel better. I was on MeetMe to make friends only. All the men on there were too immature, gross, and constantly telling I'm hot. I uninstalled the app in less than 24 hours. I met a nice guy who wants to be friends only. That was my goal. How do I stop telling myself these things, even though people still tell me these things? I want to change. People that think I'm stupid don't understand when I throw something at them that is above their level of understanding. So then they proceed to call me stupid. Any good kind advice is appreciated.

Sarahroo29 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You become what you think about. This is a key aspect of self-talk. Take inventory of what you like most about yourself and what things you most admire about others. Each day, look in the mirror. Don't talk to yourself about what you see Instead, talk about what you would like to see. Find at least one positive thing to think about each day Think about how it feels, how it makes life worth living and how can you tell someone else about what it means to you. Then, tell yourself about it. Start becoming the person who you would like to be.

Stopping one's internal dialog is the aim of meditation. It is not easy, but it is rewarding.
Don't let thoughts stay with you, let them into and out of your thoughts like waves in a stream. This is generally practised alone, but the ability is very useful throughout one's day.

Secondly, if one must carry on an internal conversation, do it in the first person, not second.
Instead of thinking things you have been told ("you're not smart". "you're not pretty enough" ) speak to yourself as I, and you won't say the same things. Take any internal conversation and make it first person ("I am better than that. " I am proud of what I have accomplished" ). You mind find that you address yourself with more compassion than you would for some obscure "you" person that others talk about.
This is a long long process. Very little happens over night, but one thing that can happen right away is the change in the respect you give yourself internally. You know you've earned it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.