Agnostic.com

10 2

Can you cook?

More than just boiling or throwing a piece of meat on a grill.
My mother was a lousy cook, my father worse, my ex wife not very good. I have never been in a relationship with a woman who could cook beyond the basics of a decent roast or a couple of cakes. At 14 my son asked me to teach him so he could impress the ladies when he was older, it seems to have worked. My daughter pretty much can not cook at all.

Rugglesby 8 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

these days i only cook my own dinner every night. i used to cook for a soup kitchen in germany, & then later for up to 80 paying guests & crew in a commune-run holiday resort on la gomera. all vegetarian, so i have no experience - or wish - to prepare meat.

that resort sounds interesting.

@Rugglesby, at one point we invited an australian permaculturist with family to reshape the old mango orchard. you'll find everything on their website: [en.argayall.com]

@walklightly Wow, that looks so awesome, something I would have loved. John Button would have been the Permaculture guy? He has done some work on the east coast here as well, never met him. I wold find it hard to leave somewhere like that. So hard. Thanks for the link.

@Rugglesby yes, that was John Button. & yes, i found it very hard to leave after having lived & worked there for 13 months, but.... the commune, comprising of ca.20 crew & up to 35 paying guests, was made up of 3 circles: the outer circle were the paying guests & the short term crew (up to 3 months), the middle circle were the crew who stayed at least 3, but up to 12 months, & the inner circle, which i would have been eligible to enter, were all the crew that had committed to a longterm stay. when my transition to longterm arose, the inner circle had one of their meetings: decisions of further-reaching impact to be made etc. i & some others would be allowed to join these meetings from now on. so i went to the hall that evening, only to be rejected by one single member of the inner circle. all the others were ok with my presence. well, consent said i had to leave the meeting. i was so stubborn & upset then (this is 16 years ago) that i said: if i leave the hall now, i'll be gone for good..... & i still hurt when looking at the pics now.

@walklightly Damn, I understand how you feel. I was key to our community, propped it up at every level,ran it for years, new people moved in, wanted to change everything, a few years of turmoil, they mostly moved on, but the place was not the same, so I left, I don't think I know anyone who is still there, have some contacts with some I knew back then, I left in 1995.

@Rugglesby would you move back if it was offered to you? what i mean to ask is: do you feel confident & satisfied with the way decisions usually are made in communes? how could we improve towards more fairness & a voice for everyone?

I'm quite a decent cook - my lasagne is, justifiably by all accounts, legendary among my friends. Like most pople who spent three years living in abject poverty as a student, I'm also able to produce a fairly decent curry out of absolutely any ingredients - got some flour, an apple and a pint of milk? I can make curry out of it. This is the most valuable thing I learned at university.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

That is what I call cooking, someone who can walk into a kitchen, and feed however many people that are there with what scarce little they can find. Single dad who lost in the property settlement, but won custody of the kids, I know all about poverty.

Three generations taught me how to cook as I was growing up. I love to cook, but have limited time due to work and kids. Over the holidays, I tend to cook from early morning until past midnight. My freezers are just now gaining some space back after being packed full by holiday cooking.

Zster Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

Jealous, I had to learn the hard way, by eating the less disgusting results, and fattening the chooks with the rest. I learned a few tricks from people establishing restaurants, I taught them how to run a business and they taught me a few tricks in the kitchens.

sure if it ain't too fancy.

I can cook, but I still have a difficult time getting past the icky feeling of touching raw meat and poultry. I definitely believe it is important for every person to know how to cook, since it will make it significantly easier for couples and families at meal time. More than one person prepping means less wait time for food!

Yes by my own creative ways and can follow a recipe

I can cook well enough to get by and have a decently varied diet. But, I'm a person who eats to live , not one who lives to eat, as the saying goes.

My mother taught me when I was a small child. She made me scrape carrots, peel potatoes- for a while we ate smallish, cubed potatoes, until I got the hang of it. I got to stir the batter for cake and all kinds of stuff. We had cooking as a class in schoo,l, so I learned the mother sauces, the different ways to prepare meat and how to make pudding from scratch. Consequently, I love to cook and try recipes from all countries. I have taught my daughters and my grandsons enough to feed themselves. My work here is done!

that sounds a very good grounding.

Definitely and I enjoy it. I learned to cook because an ex taught me the science of cooking.

@Meta-Tater must be why I tend to baking, I worked in my cousins bakery as a teen, it is a good fallback

im a pretty good cook

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33157
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.