Agnostic.com

7 3

QUESTION Is "Political Correctness" becoming a religion?

I really liked this article - especially the quote about how PC sounds religious, "There is a right way to think and a right way to talk, and also a right set of things to think and talk about. Secularism is taken for granted. Environmentalism is a sacred cause. Issues of identity—principally the holy trinity of race, gender, and sexuality—occupy the center of concern." Should we be concerned that these concepts are becoming dogma?

Monkey 7 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I couldn't get the link to work. In my opinion, too many people just don’t seem to realize the difference between insulting ideas that people have and the people themselves. Ideas always should be fair game but people should never be attacked for how they were born.

gearl Level 8 Nov 10, 2017

Religion is becoming a government..

I live in about the reddest part of a red state where at the local library we had a program on fake news by a professor from ASU. Toward the end I made the crack that religion and politics had become synonymous. Wonder of wonder after the program a couple of people came up and struck up pleasant conversations and I can attest they aren’t liberals. It made me feel good.

It is beyond religious, it's a cult of extreme danger & the most threatening thing to democracy alive in the world today!
Sam Harris is a Liberal atheistic neuroscientist who has repeatedly spoken against the way PC is infringing on free speech.
Douglas Kear Murray winner of the Lambda Literary Award is a gay british atheist who speaks against PC.
Carl Benjamin is a liberal atheist Anti-PC journalist & commentator.
Benjamin Aaron Shapiro is an American Jewish conservative Anti-PC political commentator.
Milo Yiannopoulos is a Gay Atheist Librarian, who is ultra politically incorrect.
Jordan Bernt Peterson is an Anti-PC professor of psychology at the University of Toronto.
Anyone who listens to what these renowned individuals have to say about the dangers of "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS", would have to be insane not to realize the threat which it possess.

No, I don't think so. The people who spout "politcal correctness" seem to be religious and more narrow in their thinking, however, I don't want to put that label on the ones who accuse others who they don't believe in the thoughts as "PC". It's not a religion but just a narrow-minded view.

It is. Heck, even feminism nowadays is becoming more like a religion.

A religion is usually defined as a faith-based worldview with a strict moral code, sacred objects/places/rituals, and the belief in one or more supernatural entity/phenomena. I used this definition because virtually all acknowledged religions are like this, and under this definition, political correctness does not count as one.

I think certain "Dogmas" are valid. Is it dogma to say that homosexuality isn't evil or a sickness? Maybe it is but is it a good idea to validate the beliefs of others who believe it's a sin by opening it up for debate? Have we not had enough debate on these types of issues to conclude that it is entirely natural? Let them whine and complain that it's dogmatic. I have no tolerance for people who openly restrict privileges they enjoy just to refuse it to people of a different mindset.

Homosexuals have always been here.
Of course were in the closet, a few maybe still there.
I can not understand them at all.
However, as long do not bother me ,they have right to be themselves,and it is not anybody business.
How many have relatives homosexuals and do not know it? maybe more than we think.
Some think that the homosexuals need a psychologist to change them. They can not understand that, the way they are ,it is just that. We all are what we are.
Psychologist can not change us, of course can not change them either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:333
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.