Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Why Aren’t Figs Considered Vegan?

Do you like figs? Whether or not you're a vegan, this little known fact may change the way you think about them.

whispers 7 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People are so ridiculous. I wonder if they know that insects land on the lettuce they eat and leave molecules from their body on the leaves. Might as well have filet mignon.

Hmm I wondered why they sometimes made me sick; this might explain it

I didn't know this. Very interesting. Nature is crazy 😏

I think some folks have too much time on their hands to worry about such things...love me some figs. Fresh picked home grown are best. And where would we be without Fig Newtons?

@whispers Exactly...

Although figs do contain the remains of wasps; there is no animal abuse. The wasps died there naturally; a fig is their casket. Thus, ethical vegans need not be concerned about eating figs. Moreover, the cholesterol and fat content is so low that it is considered 0%; thus, the nutritional content is essentially vegan. People who are vegan for health reasons need only be concerned about getting too much sugar, the same concern they may have for all fruit.

IMO, there is no reason a vegan should not eat figs, except for those who are grossed out or have a phobia about eating flesh or insects. Does anyone have another concern about eating figs? I love them and got two fig trees this year, which are aboiut two feet tall also in diameter. They are growing rapidly.

IDK if there are fig wasps in my area, since figs are not part of the natural environment of South Texas. I doubt the flowers will be pollenated and will not have wasps die in them, making my figs really vegan. If anyone knows about fig wasps in South Texas, please let me know. Thanks.

@Allamanda Flowers, figs are flowers, can occur without being polinated.

@whispers I didn't know there were a native species of fig in TX.

I don't think any fruit, or vegetable can be said to be "Vegan". Back in the '80s, I can remember an episode of 'Nova', about micro-photography. And in it, they showed close-up footage of the surfaces of common vegetables. Stomping about the surface were large numbers of very strange looking creatures. Some with 6 or 8 big red eyes, 8 or 10 legs, and powerful looking claws, or pinchers! And I thought to myself, I'm glad I'm an omnivore, and eat my meat cooked, rather than raw n wriggling!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:333298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.