Agnostic.com

30 6

Are positive illusions a necessary condition for being happy?

Psychologists coined the expression "depressive realism", because most normal people (i.e. those not suffering from any mental disorder) look at the world and also at themselves through rose-tinted glasses: They believe that they are "above average" in most categories ; they do not think that certain risks apply to them , even if statistics should teach them otherwise ; they are inclined to see the future brighter than it is ; they consider themselves to be more attractive than others perceive them ... and so on.

There is only one type of people who view themselves and the world more or less like it is: those who are mildly or moderately depressive (not those with major depression, of course).

Therefore it seems to be true that we need a certain amount of positive illusions to lead a happy life. Those of us who adopt scientific evidence and nothing but scientific evidence as their personal yardstick of truth are dooming themselves to depression and hopelessness and a sense of all-pervasive absurdity.

As Albert Camus wrote: "Man feels within him the longing for happiness and for rationality. The absurd is born of this confrontation between the human need and the unreasonable silence of the world” -

So, do we have to keep telling ourselves some edifying (but delusional) stories (whether they feature some supernatural entities or not is of secondary importance) to overcome the deafening silence of the meaningless world? I think so.

Matias 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not finding your "real world" very appealing......lived with my ex for 33+ years, he saw things your way and it was Grim!

A constant and very human struggle, i think... Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

*"... it seems to be true that we need a certain amount of positive illusions to lead a happy life. ... So, do we have to keep telling ourselves some edifying (but delusional) stories (whether they feature some supernatural entities or not is of secondary importance) to overcome the deafening silence of the meaningless world?"

I think we use stories (big and small) to make sense of being alive. My goal is to be clear-eyed and curious about the stories that I tell myself (as well as those people around me tell themselves). Most of these I wouldn't consider "lies" but they do trap us.

*"There is only one type of people who view themselves and the world more or less like it is: those who are mildly or moderately depressive (not those with major depression, of course)."

When we're openly suspicious of "positive thinking" and instead strive for clarity (and even embrace the absurdity and meaninglessness), some of us perhaps can appear gloomy or melancholic... But i think there is deep joy (or contentment, as someone here wrote) in this pursuit. In time hopefully that joy will shine through and "infect" a few more people.

jocc Level 4 June 14, 2019

Can’t disagree with that one, Matias!

I find very little in the world that depresses me...I can be empathetic and compassionate but it does not affect my happiness.

If I recall correctly, someone an exceedingly long time ago said something about the "price of wisdom"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:334622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.