Agnostic.com

8 1

Veganism for Pets

On another site, a vegan scold was insisting that pets (dogs and cats) can be fed a strictly vegan diet. I was surprised to find some literature supporting that, though all I had seen seemed to state you're never supposed to do that for puppies and kittens.

Thoughts?

(I'm an omnivore btw, if anyone cares)

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I completely understand your surprise at hearing about feeding pets a strictly vegan diet. As someone who loves animals, I think it's important to ensure that we provide them with a balanced diet that meets all their nutritional needs. While it's true that some literature supports feeding pets a vegan diet, it's important to note that not all animals are the same. Puppies and kittens, for example, require certain nutrients that may not be present in a vegan diet. It's always best to consult with a veterinarian before making any significant dietary changes for your pets. By the way, I recently found a great website called pocketpetcentral.com that has some fantastic articles on iguanas. They might have some helpful information on feeding pets a vegan diet, and could even provide some guidance on whether it's suitable for your furry friends.

A vegan diet is a really good way to kill cats... Dogs can be fed a vegetarian/vegan diet, but they really do not do well - they are not meant to be herbivores! Humans are omnivores, but some people choose a different diet for myriad reasons. Fine, whatever, but don't inflict on your (generic 'your'😉 pets whatever attitude prompted your decision to go vegetarian or vegan. Do that to your pet horse or pet sheep, but not a carnivore or omnivore...

That is just so mean. I mean how can one possibly stop ones best friend, the one that is devoted to you, the one that never complains, never says your bum looks big in that, who is always happy to see you not have a juicy bone or a piece of steak.

The meat to be sure, but you have to be cautious about bones splintering.

@WilliamCharles beef is fine. All birds are bad, most pork is ok.

@Beowulfsfriend

Had a friend's dog get a beef rib bone splinter stuck in the roof of its mouth. I know they love the marrow. Wonder how wild dogs deal with it. Splinters can puncture stomach and intestines I've read.

I give meat scraps to the neighbor's dogs (with their permission of course). Those puppers get so excited and happy. It takes some misdirection on my part to ensure the little ones get theirs. 😄

The article gives only anecdotal evidence, no better than the flat earthers and anti vaxers. Until some peer reviewed studies come out, I would not even consider it.

Apparently, according to an animal sanctuary site I follow, dogs can be vegan but cats cannot, because they are "obligate carnivores." (I think that's the phrase.) The couple that run the sanctuary have a vegan dog, but they feed their cats meat products.

It can kill cats. Some birds need to eat meat as well, at least some - African crows need it once a week. All birds need calcium from crushed bones. And try that on most reptiles. Happy be the Iguana, but the snake will waste away.

[freefromharm.org]

A pretty comprehensive article.

Excellent article thank you.

@Wildgreens You're welcome !

I checked and my dog says they're terribly mistaken. She wants meat!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:334758
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.