Agnostic.com

7 1

Dandelion on steroids?

Anyone know what kind of weed this is? I kind of like it, so I let it grow.. but eventually someone pulls it out. It's almost impossible to pull its roots, so it comes back every year and it seems like it gets more flowers each time it comes back. It's currently about 3 feet tall.

Edit: If memory serves me, I think one year when no one pulled it, it survived long enough for the yellow flowers to turn into white puffs like how dandelions do too. It's seriously like a dandelion on steroids.

FatherOfNyx 7 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This flower is not only beautiful, but it is also a medicine to cure diseases. It has threes main uses.

Babb9 Level 1 May 17, 2023

Goats like to eat shit like that. So if you can get access to a goat, that'd be one organic approach to mitigating any spread.

Looks like an invasive thistle.

Dig out invasive weeds before seed pods open, spreading millions of seeds.

It looks like a Prickly Sow Thistle of the genus Sonchus. They grow prolifically in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon and Washington, but obviously other places too. Don’t let the white seed balls blow around or you will get even more of them later....!

That looks like it's it. When I Googled 'prickly dandelion' before, people were saying a thistle.. but none of the ones looked like it. Prickly sow thistle looks spot on though. We already got a bunch around, I don't mind them so much. Maybe I'll sabotage the neighborhood with their seeds ?

It’s so pretty.

I have one of these that grows in my yard, a giant dandelion. Grows to about the same height, 3 ft or so. comes back every year too. I just let it grow.

Daisies have deep, strong roots, but this doesn't look like a daisy.

I am pretty sure that one year its flowers when to seed like how dandelions turn into white poofs and their seeds blow away.

@FatherOfNyx

It's an invasive thistle. Dig out invasive weeds before seed pods open, spewing millions of seeds. Be sure to remove the long tap root.

Seeds don't magically blow away. They grow and spread invasive weeds.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:335101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.