Agnostic.com

4 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are you going to blow up Mount Rushmore too?

No, we will let time and the elements take care of that. Once we stop maintaining it, it will erode and fall away.

@HippieChick58 Um, yes in about 10000 years.

@chazwin Actually I've read that it will be faster than that. The monument needs constant upkeep and propping to keep the sculptures intact. I'm pretty sure in 10 to 20 years the faces will not be recognizable any longer.

Personally, I think that statues in public places glorifying an individual is a stupid idea.... Why not house these statues in museums along with a narrative fully detailing their history - both "pro" and "con". Let people decide for themselves whether this individual is to be admired...or not....for their "contribution" to society. IMHO

Never again?

I just read the Wikipedia article on Sims. There’s a lot more to this story than is being aired. There are two sides, or many sides. Sims contributed a lot to the health of women, and has been honored repeatedly for his work.

Why did Sims operate on slave women? It was because Sims specialized in working with slave women. Seventy five percent of the population of Montgomery were slaves. Sims started the world’s first women’s hospital in Montgomery. The women were desperately in need of curing, and they were literally begging for the operations.

Why didn’t Sims use anesthesia? Anesthesia was in its infancy. Having just been introduced, it was not in widespread use. If you are going to condemn Sims for not using anesthesia you will have to condemn surgeons all over the world from that era.

Leave it to the left-wing news media to put an evil, racist slant on every situation they encounter.

He did pioneering work for women's problems that arise from child birth BUT it is well documented that black women are treated differently than white women and some doctors still believe black women are stronger and feel much less pain than white women. The reason the infant mortality rate and the death rate for women during and after child birth is so high in America is because of the deaths of black babies and their mothers. Black women from all walks of life, rich or poor consistantly have low birth weight babies and many think it might be due to the unremitting racial prejudice they face.
White women also suffered from vesicovaginal fistulas but there seems to be no record of him experimenting on them. Just sayin'

@silverotter11 According to the Wikipedia article the man was not just using the slave women as guinea pigs for experimentation. He had established a hospital just for Black women, and he was operating because the women were desperately in need of attention. Read the horrible symptoms that those women had to suffer—it’s pitiful and disturbing.

Yes, he did indeed operate on White women. In fact he established a women’s hospital in New York. He was president of the AMA for two years also.

What a farce it is that all these radical leftists are running around slandering, stirring up racial animosity at every turn, trying to divide the country, trying to start a new civil war. Utterly disgusting!

@WilliamFleming I agree the article is very slanted.

Yeah . That f r . I knew about him through my ethics class long ago . Thank u very much for sharing . Would u pls share again when this site works better ? This is important article for many people to read and understand . Medicine : " the nobble assholes ". In reality , personal agendas and empower . Not all odviously , but many !

I will try to remember to do that, thank you!

Yes - people fail to remember that doctors are - first and foremost - people. Some are better trained than others...some are more "patient" oriented - some are simply more "result" oriented with less regard for the individual. My parents grew up in a time when doctors were to be worshipped - they were believed to be infallible. A doctor friend of mine once said "remember, half of all the doctors who graduate from medical school were in the bottom half of their class". A little joke - but still - a sober reminder that its important to ask questions and pay attention to what they say..and do.

@Lavergne exactly .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336057
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.