Agnostic.com

13 2

Do you feel that letting others know you're an atheist hurts your chances of getting work?

• 18 votes
  • 13 votes
Wayno 3 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe speaking about any belief/nonbelief topic is appropriate, or legal in a business interview or environment. Call the Dept of Labor or the ACLU.

As a former Union President of a Federal Employee unit, I agree with you 100% however in today's information age, any savvy HR hiring official will already know any details like that through search engines and especially if they find a facebook account.

I think if I brought up the subject, I would undoubtedly not get the job, probably because the interviewer would wonder why I bought it up. If they asked me, I would tell them that in the state I live in, they are not allowed to ask that question, and they would probably not hire me because of my attitude.

I live in an ass-backwards conservative area, it's just best to keep religious and political beliefs to yourself. Otherwise your looked at as a baby sacrificing commie liberal, and your application will get lost, or you will be ostracized to the point of quitting, or the first to be layer off/fired.

That's not true. I haven't eaten a baby all week! LOL

No. I've been in the biotech field. Nobody cares. Most of us already are atheist, though some still manage to cling to their beliefs.

It shouldn't ever be a subject that comes up in a good 95% of job interviews. If they do ask you, and it's not critical to the job, then they are generally straddeling some legal lines there.

If you mean that it hurts finding work with future employers who know ahead of time that you are an atheist, then I can see it being a bit worrisome depending on where you live. But then again, it should be your credentials and experience that determine your hireability and not your religious views.

It really doesnt come up a lot for me. I guess its because of what I do and the part of America I live in.

Of course, I live in the south.

Roman Level 5 Mar 7, 2018

Have never been asked to pick a religion on any applications..

I drive a truck. My employers only concern is do I have the right licence.

You "might" have a problem in the long run if you try to drive with Covenant. Just sayin'

@TheLiberalGent I'm not really sure what that is. I'm in the UK. My employer is like ' show me your licence. When can you work?' 🙂

I do not have any desire to inform people that I am an atheist

In my line of work, my lack of religious belief would never come up in conversation during the interview process or even thereafter. I work for a large law firm and they know all of the rules.

Absolutely, Northern Ireland is very divided religion wise and I am English so obviously a heathen. If I wasnt retired now, it would be hard for me to get a job. I went to an interview for a job as a Counsellor/Lecturer in Counsellng. I have a degree in counselling, trained as a TA therapist, trained as a Person Centred Creative Expressive Therapist with Natalie Rogers in California I was joint head of Person Centred Creative Expressive Therapy in England and the panel decided to employ a nurse with no relevant qualifications.

Every Interview I went to they changed the goalposts to favour one of their own/known.

I don't care because I can't be something im not.I wouldnt just point out im a none believer but if asked unless my life was on the line or my liberty I would tell the truth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.