Agnostic.com

24 2

How do you get rid of mental exhaustion?

I slept through the night, but I still feel tired. I tried to take a nap, but I can't sleep in the daytime. I'm just laying on my bed, but my thoughts won't leave me alone. I'm going to go to Dutch Bros soon for caffeine, I need a lot of it right now. I'll ask about their work environment and how it is. What do I do to relax or get rid of my mental exhaustion? How do I stop my ruminating thoughts? Any good suggestions are welcomed.

Sarahroo29 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've done journaling. Sometimes just writing my thoughts down is a great way to get them out of my head and sort them out. I write by hand with a favorite pen on unlined paper, so I don't have to worry about staying in the lines; sometimes I'll doodle too... I also practice mindful meditation. Even just a few minutes a day helps me get grounded and centered.

I'm going shopping with my aunt. Yay! I'm regaining my strength now. Sometimes I need to have fun in my life.

Sleep. And I have long, intimate conversations with my friends. It helps to clear my mind, and it lets my friends know I trust them with my innermost thoughts and feelings.

I have been venting to my friends whom know me.

Good.

Rest, lots of sleep, but also rest. I am unable to break the mental exhaustion by sleep alone, I must get out of the situation that does it to me, often it is time limited, end of financial year etc.

Yes.

A few tokes of some good indica puts me out like a baby. Mindfulness training (guided meditation) is a big help as well. It's all about reducing stress, which is your enemy. Good luck on your journey.

Weed makes me paranoid.

@Sarahroo29 - For me, it depends on the type. Sativa definitely makes me wired. Indica is the opposite. Weird, eh? I highly recommend the other suggestions.

@Hominid Any type of marijuana isn't good with my medications.

Meditation is my go to for nearly every problem I experience regarding my mental state, ESPECIALLY an over abundance of thoughts and the emotions that follow them. Consider looking into "Mindfulness Mediation".

Good idea.

I crochet. To me it is the most relaxing thing I do. When done with an item you have the added benefit of being creative and accomplished.

I want to distract myself from my ruminating thoughts. Music isn't helping me. The coffee was delicious though.

You are trying very hard to tell yourself something and you are resistant to listening to that inner self, so it is going to 'throw tantrums' and keep you awake. That's my take. 🙂 What it is, only you can discover. We've all, or almost all, had such periods. Whatever is on your mind during those sleepless periods is your best clue. Examine it, decide on some self-promised course of action and slumber will occur. (another best guess) Good luck! 🙂

Okay.

Meditation works for me, and if I can't quiet my mind on my own, I have some really good guided relaxation/meditaion tracks that do the trick nicely. Kelly Howell's Brain Sync stuff is usually what I go to. Centrepoint Holosync series is also excellent. Both have various tracks for different purposes and occasions.

Oh, okay. I'll try meditating.

Sarah, cut down on the coffee. I've suffered with chronic exhaustion since 2004. It came on suddenly. One day I was fine, next day I felt like I just "plowed the back 40". Never got a diagnosis. Go to the doctor and tell them you're not just tired. It's total exhaustion. It's finally easing up in the past year. I'm taking B12 and iron. Try it. Best of luck.

I don't drink coffee that often.

Oh man, I know what that's like. My go-tos are 1) Writing--whether organized journal entires, haphazard venting, or random scribbly lines of poetry or inspiration. Add pictures too, paste photos, create visual representations in whatever way you see fit just get your brain onto that paper. 2) Move my body--which I know is often the last thing ya feel like doing when you're anxious or depressed, but even getting up and jogging in place or aggressively scrubbing my counters has worked wonders for me before. I hope you find something that helps you.

Good ideas. Thanks.

You're welcome. 🙂

I have to work really hard to override my brain. Guided meditation helps a lot as does yoga and journaling. A few years ago we had a very devastating family event. In addition to meds, I would watch a movie, hand see and carry on several text conversations at once just to be able to get out of my head.

But yeah, guided meditation. You can find apps like headspace or the calm or find them on YouTube. I'm hopeless at just meditating, but when I can focus on done one else speaking, it's helpful. It's also a learned skill like most everything else. It's hard at first, just keep doing it.

Yes.

Protein, coffee, music, sleep

I'm doing all of those things. I just ate soup full of hamburger meat.

HANDS OFF my mental exhaustion, please!! How else am I supposed to distinguish between real pain and suffering from being a cry baby; or discern critical, speculative thought from what others want me to believe? Let's face it, 'no pain no gain' is like surviving the Donald Trump era without any scars, lost, or change of ideas.

Mental exhaustion is an ally to mental well being, it's your physical being telling you your emotions and mind had a profitable day. No human has ever evolved by living in a quiet world free of calamities. The only un-stressful people I know of are six-feet under; stress is good, distress can mean you took something the wrong way. I do believe!!

How do you get rid of it? All advice may prove unhealthy, for your needs, not sure if anything accept 'dreamless' rest can move you forward. Even without 'rem sleep' there is little chance the anxiety causing the problem will go away.

I was diagnosed as an insomniac, after several years of changing work to night, resolved to change my morning and afternoons to night and dawn appear to have taken care of the problem. If my insomnia was a problem in the first place. I think it might have been more of a functional energy level than anything else. Like, my energy level is higher at night, spring and summer than in the morning, afternoon, or winter. I’ve learned to go with flow of my body and strive to understand when something changes. Go against what your body wants, or against your own energy level, expect distress in your life.

Expecting it will give me more anxiety. It's been a long long time since I've had to deal with an anxiety over-load.

I notice you live in Colorado... I believe you have herbal medications available. I used to say I don't get stress, mostly true, in fact, on occasion I'd take a train to NYC for a weekend, the excitement of the city was so distracting, I'd forget about everything else. We all need get away time, ocean, mountain vacations, but I like the convenience of herbs.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 7, 2018

Marijuana? No thanks. It makes me paranoid.

Sleeping always helps me..

I can't sleep in the daytime.

@Sarahroo29 that sucks..naps are awesome..

@Charlene I did try to this morning.

Unfortunately as my brain never sleeps I can't tell you....

Well, idle hands yadda, yadda. Hobbies help. If you obscure your woes with trifling goals, the goals can add up to genuine accomplishments. Self esteem could florish.

Yep.

In addition to rest, it is most helpful to get some kind of enjoyment into your life, especially laughter. Even a little goes a long way!

I'm going shopping with my aunt soon.

First --- make sure your diet is the most nutritious food you can afford and pack it full of high quality, nutrient dense foods. Second, cut unhealthy habits out of your life (i.e. alcohol, smoking, sleep deprivation, etc.). Third, set a sleep schedule and stick to it...and give yourself at least an hour of relaxation prior to going to sleep. Fouth, cut things that stress you out of your life to the greatest degree possible. Fifth, exercise regularly and learn to calm your mind and meditate. Finally, engage in hobbies that help expand your knowledge, release your creativity, and help you relax. 🙂

I admit, when I'm depressed or stressed, my eating isn't very much. I go to bed between 8-8:30 pm every night. I have insomnia, so I take meds to sleep. Some nights I get a lot of sleep, other nights I don't. I went to the gym on Sunday. My aunt is coming to take me shopping today so I can have fun in my life. It's also to relax me. I hate alcohol and drugs, I don't do either of those things. I've never smoked cigarettes.

Walk, for hours in a forest, take a book, find a quiet place and sit and read. Ignore the world, leave your phone at home, pause, breath, nothing can stress you when you're on your own. I had a small stress breakdown a few years ago and I should have spotted the warning signs and taken my advice to you long before it got to me. I ended up selling everything I owned and spent two years travelling

AdieG Level 4 Mar 7, 2018

I just caught my downward spiral before I had a mental breakdown. I saw my signs. I had told my bosses this week I needed another day off and not just one out of 13 days. They didn't listen to my needs.

They never do in my experience 😟 I'm much happier now, I retrained, set up my own business and just plod along fast enough to make sure my bills are paid 🙂

I'm not a big drinker but sometimes a couple whiskey and Cokes will do the trick. I sleep more sound. I don't always wake up feeling better but it quiets my mind anyways

I don't like alcohol.

I normally sleep with the tv on so my brain has focus because I find silence noisy and my brain won't stop.

It doesn't help me sleep with the TV on.

just a thought

I go out to the beach

I hear meth helps! 😛

JeffB Level 6 Mar 7, 2018

Ugh.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33647
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.